oops! spilled wood stain on tile and grout....

Old 02-18-08, 11:27 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
oops! spilled wood stain on tile and grout....

not only did i spill some wood stain on a tile floor but it sat there and spread for about thirty minutes before i noticed it. it came off the 12x12 tiles easy enough but not so with the grout. the grout is a medium to dark grey to begin with the wood stain was a dark brown. my wife and i actually like the stained grout better. can the rest of the grout be stained? i;m assuming minwax wood stain is not the best choice for the job if so. any info would be appreciated...

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-08, 11:37 AM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
They make grout colorant for this. If the grout wasnt sealed you may be able to stain it after a good cleaning. If it was sealed, it wont consistantly take the color.

Im not sure how the grout colorant might work in the parts that you spilled the wood stain on though.

Old 02-18-08, 12:07 PM
F
yeah, that was my main concern. will any kind of stain or colorant adhere or soak into the area where the wood stain is. i'm guessing the grout is not sealed since i scrubbed it with mineral spirits and the wood stain still didn't come up. i wonder if there is any harm in just staining the rest of the grout with wood stain as well....?

Old 02-18-08, 12:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 226 Votes on 201 Posts
I've used oil base stain a time or two to color grout - more along the lines of a favor for a customer - don't know how well it held up.

The best way to match the rest of the grout with what you accidently stained would be to use the same minwax stain.

Old 02-18-08, 03:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yow I would be tempted to go ahead and use the same stain to stain the grout too.

Years ago we used to use wood stain to stain saltillo tiles in the south. It worked fine but required a long time to dry. We then sealed the tiles with Thompson's Water Seal.

I wouldn't recommend using the Thompson's these days. Stinky stinky stinky.