Darn those kitchen counters (aka I seriously need help)

Old 02-23-08, 03:51 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Darn those kitchen counters (aka I seriously need help)

hello guys, I must admit that I am now overwhelmed by my granite flooring project. I understood that my joists need to be reinforced. I bought all the necessary lumber and plywood. I'm proceeding with removing the old floor and the top subfloor (particle board). However, as more and more of bottom subfloor is revealed, I now face a question that I can't get my brain around. How do I remove the bottom subfloor to get to my joists WITHOUT removing my kitchen counters as well??!!

My counters run parallel to my joists. Should I just saw around the counters to get my subfloor out? And in addition to that, how do I get the nails out? Crow bar doesn't seem to work. The nail heads seem to be pretty soft, which is why my crow bar can't get a hold of them.

Last edited by rayycy; 02-24-08 at 12:23 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-23-08, 04:50 PM
I
Wow! Can You Support Your Floor Joists From The Basement? Is Your Basement Ceiling Exposed Or Dont You Have A Basement?

Old 02-23-08, 05:05 PM
R
Hi Indii,

Unfortunately my basement ceiling is not exposed. Looks like it's covered by drywall.

Old 02-23-08, 05:18 PM
I
The front edge of your cabinets may be between joists below.(parallel) Cut close to your cabinets where it is handy, not under the toe kick for now. cut along side an existing floor joist. Do not cut any joist or even notch it. You will have to locate the edge. Cut a small hole to do this. Now, what does re-enforcing entail and what are your instructions? Also what size are your floor joists and about what is the weight of your new floor going to be per sq. ft.?

Old 02-23-08, 05:23 PM
I
Forgot about safety! Set your saw blade as needed for depth. Remember there are existing mechanicals below!

Indii

Old 02-23-08, 05:48 PM
R
Ya, sounds like I do have to saw. I was hoping to avoid that. *sigh*
I was thinking if I can saw right on the center of the joist without touching the joist. But that would require very precise depth setting on the saw. I do know the thickness of my plywood (drilled a hole for measurement). And hopefully I can get one of those wall scanning thingy to locate my joist edges.

What I'm trying to do is to sister my joists. The configurations are as such:
Joist Height: 9"
Joist Width: 1.5"
Joist Spacing: 16" on center
Joist Length: 15' (actually it's closer to 14'10")

However, I am actually only trying to cover the first 11' of the joists with granite (the joists span longer than the room).
I have the 2x8 lumber ready to go in.