Tile and bowing wall?

Old 03-01-08, 03:19 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile and bowing wall?

Hello all,

I know this is the flooring tile forum and a apoligze in advance for hijacking, but it is the closest topic I could find.

I am getting ready to tile the walls around my shower area and the longer wall has a bow in it. It looks to be about 1/2" bowed in in the center of the wall running from the top of the tub to the ceiling. The walls are covered with 1/2" Hardy board and I will be tiling from the top of the tub to the ceiling with 6 x6 tile using mastic adhesive. (Unless advised to do other wise.) How should I deal with the bow in the wall?

Thaks!
TB

Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-08, 06:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi,

It depends...what is causing the bow? Was it there before you put the hardibacker up? If you can, upload a picture, or post one on photobucket, with a link, here. Show something in the photo that can help us determine the problem. Also, is this an interior or exterior wall?

Old 03-02-08, 08:50 AM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
What is the reason for the 1/2" "bow in" in the middle of the wall? 1/2" is a lot to be out by. I assume the framing members are bowed and the hardi is following the contour of the studs, yes. If thats the case you have to remove the hardi and fix the framing. No easy way around this I can see.

No mastic in wet areas. You need to use thinset. What kinda thinset will depend on what kinda tile and grout?

Old 03-02-08, 11:12 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sounds as if the wall framing is experiencing at least one "reversed crown". This occurs when the person laying up the wall fails to look at the stud members before installing them. Most all studs will have a curve, a knowledgeable builder will match those curves when the studs are installed. It only takes one stud to be installed opposite of all the others to create a bowed wall.

Take down the wallboard and see if that's the problem. If so take out the offending stud and turn it around and put it back in.

Attempting to tile over that bow will only lead to lippage and disaster.