bathroom remodelling

Old 03-03-08, 02:16 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
bathroom remodelling

Hi there,
here is my situation: The bathroom is next and I have some questions and hope somebody can help.
The bathroom itself had VTC on the floor. This is all gone except the leftover of black 40 years old mastic on slab. To scrape that one off would turn into a messy project. So I left it that way. On top of that I will go with pebble mosaic. I thought I lay out a 8mil plastic and install/screw a water resistant board on top of that. Is that the way to go?

Next question has to do with my shower. It's all tiled and they tiles are intact; means they're not broken or hollow. I like to install also the mosaic pebble and 3x6 tiles for the walls. Here I also thought a 8mil plastic and a 1/2 or so board would be right to have a solid base. But I also read that sanding of the old tiles would be good enough. What's your thoughts here?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-08, 02:55 PM
J
Carl,

NO, That is a BIG negative to both parts of your question!

That black tar-type adhesive under your 40 years old VAT tile is called "cut-back" and can stay. You should slice off as much as possible first however. You will then install the tiles directly over it using a latex modified thin set mortar that says it's good for over cut back.

It will not sand off, but DO NOT even think of trying it, because it probably contains asbestos.

The shower is a much BIGGER project and although under certain cases is it possible to install tiles over old, it usually can not be done.

Jaz

Old 03-05-08, 07:37 AM
C
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Carl,

The shower is a much BIGGER project and although under certain cases is it possible to install tiles over old, it usually can not be done.

Jaz
1) So, what about drilling a backerboard right on the old tiles into the slab?
2) A moisture barrier between my old tiles and the board?...or something like redgard applied on the board?
3) I have also will exchange parts of my shower drain. What kind of "mud" do I need to have that waterproofed?

Old 03-05-08, 02:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
1) So, what about drilling a backerboard right on the old tiles into the slab?
No. B-A-D idea!

2) A moisture barrier between my old tiles and the board?...or something like redgard applied on the board?
No.

3) I have also will exchange parts of my shower drain. What kind of "mud" do I need to have that waterproofed?

No mud is waterproof. The shower should already be waterproofed. Did you build the original shower?

Old 03-06-08, 07:33 AM
C
Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post
No. B-A-D idea!?
Why is that such a bad idea? With the right machines and anchors I'm sure I get the board joined pretty good.

Originally Posted by Bud Cline View Post

No mud is waterproof. The shower should already be waterproofed. Did you build the original shower?
No the somebody did that 40 years ago and did a fine job. It's just very very outdated...

Old 03-06-08, 02:36 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why is that such a bad idea? With the right machines and anchors I'm sure I get the board joined pretty good.
Go for it!

What kind of "mud" do I need to have that waterproofed?
No mud is waterproof, not forty years ago, not today.

Old 03-06-08, 02:59 PM
K
As for board-on-floor, that's a good way to raise and flatten a floor but do bed the board in thinset, so it's solid. Use a notched trowel.

Board over tile walls, I don't see the B-A-D.

No mud is waterproof, but fibreglass sure is. I'm unsure what you're doing with the drain...

Obviously the shower pan needs special consideration.