Ceramic/Porcelain vs. Real Stone

Old 03-06-08, 06:03 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic/Porcelain vs. Real Stone

I am getting ready to do a master bedroom/bath remodel. I will be putting Brazilian Cherry in the rest of the living areas and am considering putting marble, travertine or slate in the master bath. My interior designer is urging me to look at porcelain tile which looks like travertine. She tells me its cheaper and easier to install. In my limited experience, ceramic/porcelain tiles may look like the real thing (from afar and sometimes closer up) but they don't feel like the real thing to the touch. I am also concerned with the resale angle (e.g. buyers will want the real thing).

Anyone have any experience with porcelain tiles which pass as the real thing? What brand, etc. did you use? Are you glad you did it? Any problems with resale? Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 03-06-08, 08:10 AM
T
This is a duplicate thread. Could a moderator delete or merge this thread and the other:

http://forum.doityourself.com/showth...=1#post1326280

along with any responses to both?

Trying again in 79 seconds

That stupid 180 second feature is a real PIA!

Now waiting 20 seconds

Old 03-06-08, 08:26 AM
B
Porcelain

Porcelain would be the way to go, in terms of resale. The thought of taking care of travertine, marble, or slate tends to freek people out. Even though it is easy if you use the right things(no comercial chemicals). Porcelain is stain proof, it is very dence, and impervios to stain (again, as long as you do not use harsh cleaners, bleaches, amonias, or vinegars on it). As far as cheaper, depends on where you buy, porcelains can range greatly in price, but for the most part, they are on the high middle end price wise.
I deal with people in my showroom on a regular basis, and everyone is doing porcelain. I would save the natural stone for the house you are going to be able to enjoy the rest of your life... then you dont have to wory about all the money you put into it being wasted by someone using scrubbing bubbles on it. Hope this helps, porcelain all the way.
Stacey @ Dal Tile

Old 03-06-08, 02:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Natural stone tiles require a floor system that is double the strength of that required by porcelain.

There are many porcelain tiles available that mimic natural stone right down to the imperfections.

Natural stone requires some special attention and once you start that program there could be an ongoing need.

Stone can be stained by many everyday occurrences that would have no effect on porcelain what-so-ever.

Stone typically costs more to buy and more to install.