Stone and epoxy flooring for basement?

Old 03-07-08, 11:13 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Stone and epoxy flooring for basement?

Hi All,
I'm researching this for my Dad who would like to install it himself. I'm not sure I'm using the proper terminology. I'm looking for info on the garage and basement flooring that is literally stone and epoxy combined then pressed. It has a bumpy texture. I've only found one retailer online and I'd like to comparison shop. Suggestions? Has anyone tried to install this on their own in a basement? Cost?
Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-08, 12:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
No reason a person couldn't DIY the epoxy/stone products, doesn't take any special talent but it does require a certain mixer. The bigger problem is that these products are considered proprietary to the makers and they won't normally sell to just anyone. They want installers "certified" in their product to do the installs.

The surface must be clean and free of deflection. A proprietary primer is then used. The epoxy is a two-part product that is mixed for a couple of minutes and then added to a tumbling mixer with the aggregate already in the drum. You again mix the product for a few minutes then spread it on the surface. A gauged rake is used to gauge the thickness then a trowel coated with a release chemical is used to plane the surface. It is not pressed, it is simply gauged and troweled. You can make your own gauge.

You might Google Rock Carpet and see if they still have a website, they may sell to you direct or be able to put you in contact with one of their distributors.

PS

The installed cost is around 6 to 8 dollars per square foot. I see their website is "Temporarily Out of Service", I have no idea why.

Try: Aggregate Systems Inc
975 N. Main Street
Bluffton, Indiana 46714
800-840-7030

The owner is Bob Claghorn.

Old 03-07-08, 03:06 PM
J
Thanks so much Bud!

Old 03-07-08, 03:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good luck with it.

I have installed a lot of that stuff. If you have any questions later feel free to send me an email. I don't always check in here regularly.

By the way...

For an interior installation there's going to be some strong and noxious odor while the chemicals are stabilizing so plan on plenty of ventilation and once the product is in place you may consider staying in a motel overnight. Seriously!