Ceramic Tile over Asbestos Tile

Old 03-10-08, 08:15 PM
W
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Ceramic Tile over Asbestos Tile

hello,

I'm just planning to install kitchen floor tile - approx 170 sq.ft. I need some advice on ; if the ceramic can be laid over the existing tile ( WHICH IS ASBESTOS ) or should a sub floor be installed first.

The house was built in mid 60's - ranch style and solid as a rock, no movement in floors or walls. The floor is maybe 1/4 " out of level in one area.

Any advice appreciated.
Glenn.

Last edited by warburg; 03-10-08 at 08:39 PM.
Old 03-11-08, 05:10 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Normally, it is recommended to remove old flooring, but it the case of asbestos tile, I think it is preferred to install backer board with thinset right over the top. My reply will move your post back to the top, and if someone disagrees, I'm sure they will let us both know.

Old 03-12-08, 06:12 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Glenn

What do you know about the flooring and whats under it? What are the various layers over the floor joists? Are you assuming the flooring contains asbestos or have you had it tested? There are ways to remove flooring that contains asbestos and its done all the time. The asbestos is only a danger if it becomes airborn. Do some research on this.

If indeed you decide to go over the current flooring, it would be best to do so with an additional layer of plywood and then cement board or isolation membrane.

Old 03-12-08, 07:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
See how well that works? Thanks, HJ

Old 03-19-08, 03:30 PM
T
Anyone ask if this is over a slab or wood floor?, if over wood, forget it, once you screw through the asbestos tile they will crack and come loose causing voids, remove them.

If over a slab, they will come up easy, if you tile over them in either situation, you risk failure.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: