Buttering 20 x 20 Ceramic tile

Old 03-12-08, 07:20 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Buttering 20 x 20 Ceramic tile

I have contacted several tile installers to discuss installing my 20 x 20 ceramic tile onto a concrete slab that has just been coated with redgard. Some say that the tile definately needs to be back buttered, others say that they don't butter it. What is acceptable? One guy says that it isn't necessary because of the use of 1/2 notched trowel, another says that if he knocks on it and it sounds hollow he'll fill the middle? Help!!

Last edited by redvers; 03-12-08 at 07:43 PM. Reason: added info
Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-08, 07:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Some guys just amaze me to no end!

Some say that the tile definately needs to be back buttered, others say that they don't butter it. What is acceptable?
I've got twenty bucks that says NONE OF THEM asked you what the back of the tile looked like, did they?

The construction of the back of the tile and the condition of the substrate is what determines the size of the trowel, and whether or not backbuttering is necessary.

One guy says that it isn't necessary because of the use of 1/2 notched trowel,
Big deal, the guy must be a fortune teller or have a crystal ball and probably doesn't own a 3/4" notched trowel!

another says that if he knocks on it and it sounds hollow he'll fill the middle?
This is the guy to stay far far away from, this guy has no idea what he had for breakfast. I'll tell ya how that knocking and tapping on tiles works and you tell me if this last guy is an idiot.

When tapping on freshly installed tile, THEY ALL SOUND HOLLOW FOR GOD'S SAKE. The thinset must be cured, dry, and firmly attached to the substrate for it not to sound hollw.

I gotta go take a pill.

Old 03-12-08, 08:11 PM
Bud doesn't have to go take a pill, he IS a pill!

I believe the answer to your question is: no, they do not have to be back buttered.

Old 03-13-08, 07:20 AM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
For that size tile a medium bed mortar should be used. Backbuttering cant hurt, but what the back of the tiles look like will determine if you need to or dont need to. Sight unseen, I seriously doubt any of the setters you talked to can tell you what size trowel they will use. How flat is the floor and again, what do the backs of the tiles look like? Trowel size will be determined when they start setting and see what size trowel they'll need to get full coverage. Are you just picking their brains and diy'ing this or are you going to have one of these contractors do the job?

Old 03-13-08, 10:20 AM
T
One guy says that it isn't necessary because of the use of 1/2 notched trowel, another says that if he knocks on it and it sounds hollow he'll fill the middle?

Whether you are doing this job yourself or you are hiring it out, why is this floor coated with Redgard? Either it wasn't needed or you have other site conditions that will require more detail and knowledge than just whether to back butter or not.

Old 03-19-08, 04:06 PM
T
Flat bottom stone or square backed Porcelain, BACKBUTTER them all.

Old 03-19-08, 04:55 PM
W
It certainly looks like they're all in agreement !

Old 03-19-08, 05:02 PM
Talking

Hi warmsmeallup and welcome to the DIY Forums! Where else can you go for free, expert advice and entertainment all rolled into one?

Old 03-19-08, 06:36 PM
W
Yup, it's the next best thing to dinner, a movie and...well, almost the next...

Thanks for the warm welcome mat!