Frustrated with new tile grout

Old 03-28-08, 09:14 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Frustrated with new tile grout

Hello,
I've recently had a complete kitchen remodel including brand new tile. The tile is porcelain 20" X 20" (or close) with a 1/4" grout spacing. The grout color is white, and after 3 months it already looks dirty and darkened in areas. About 2 months ago I scrubbed the grout with a Lowes "off-the-shelf" grout cleaner (useless); soap and water; and lastly--diluted bleach solution. Then I applied a sealer (the kind that soaks into the grout). Still, the grout remains with a pale grey hue in the highly trafficked areas. What should I do? Stain the grout dark??

Thanks in advance,

Majac777

Old 03-28-08, 09:51 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've heard of people having success with those steam cleaners when cleaning their grout.

Grouts by nature are very porous and can get dirty easily because of the porosity. All the sealer in the world doesn't change that fact. White grout doesn't help of course.

Old 03-28-08, 02:22 PM
S
Group Moderator
Received 98 Votes on 86 Posts
As of now, you've sealed in the dirt that darkened it. Whether you could have gotten it clean before sealing is not a certainty.

Old 03-28-08, 02:38 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Is the grout a sanded grout?

Here's a "Bud-Trick" you might try and see what happens, it may be worth a shot.

If the grout is sanded grout you may be able to "sand it". Use some 220 grit sandpaper wrapped around a pencil or dowel. Try rubbing the grout without scratching the tile edges and see if that works. If it does you can then immediately seal the grout (after vacuuming) and hope for the best. I would try this in an inconspicuous location even tho the grout probably isn't as dirty in that area. At least you will know if the process is feasible.

Old 04-04-08, 07:43 AM
M
Thumbs down

Thanks to you all for your help!

Is it feasible to stain my sanded grout to a darker color?

Regards, Majac777

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: