Grouting part of the bathroom

Old 04-02-08, 12:58 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grouting part of the bathroom

Hi all, i am doing a minor bathroom remodel (paint, tile, & sink counter). We have a 3 year old home that had some ugly linoleum. I layed hardibacker over that and screwed it down. Ive now read where i should have tore out the linoleum and put thinset down. I didnt do that so i hope all is going to be well. It all seemed pretty solid and its all flat and level so im not to worried. Anyways on to my question.

I have 90% of the tile layed. All is layed around the toilet flange and added the riser kit to the flange. I want to grout around the toilet so i can get the toilet set back tommorow. (wife is getting pissed). So im wondering if i can grout the area around the toilet tonight, and then finish laying my tile tonight. i can then set the toilet tomorow and finish grouting this weekend. Im just wondering if it will be bad to grout part of it tonight, have it harden and then come back and finish it. Thanks

Old 04-02-08, 01:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi,

There's no reason why you can't re-seat the toilet as soon as the tile has set. You can just grout around the toilet after the rest of the tile has set. Just be certain when you do get ready to grout that all the joints are clean. (By the way, you do know to caulk around the base of toilet and along tub, right?)

Connie

Old 04-02-08, 01:25 PM
It's always better to grout it all at the same time.

If you also caulk around the toilet pedestal, DON'T caulk the backside of the foot. Leave it open for future leak detection.

Old 04-02-08, 01:47 PM
Hey, that's a good hint, Bud!

Old 04-02-08, 02:51 PM
B
Thanks Bud & Connie. I kinda figured you'd want to grout it all at the same time. I will go ahead and set the toilet then tonight and finish tiling. Then i'll grout it this weekend and caulk and trim it out. It looks really good so far. Thanks again!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: