Tile installation

Old 03-30-08, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tile installation

I am going to be putting ceramic tiles in my small basement bathroom. I just took off the old (30 years old) ceramic tiles and now see a cement floor. I assume I need to sand the cement floor to get it as clean as possible. Should I use a sander or chemicals to clean the cement floor?

Also, please advise what adhesive I use to put down the new tiles and any advise for tiling around the toilet hole area. Is there any good web sites that will give me a step by step instruction on how to install the tiles?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-08, 09:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi!

You want to try and get as much as that old thinset off as you can, but it does not need to be perfect. Make sure all the high spots are grinded/sanded down. There are no chemicals to remove this.

Do you notice any cracks in the slab?

If no cracks, you can use a good quality thinset like Versabond. Do not use anything from a bucket, like a "premixed" thinset or any mastic.

If you do have some cracking, you might want to consider getting a isolation membrane like Schluter Ditra.

The cuts under the toilet do not need to be perfect because it will be covered. Toilet is usually the last place to tile, for me it is anyways. You will need a new wax ring when you reinstall.

There are many books available. If it's a basic tile job, which it sounds like, a Big Box store "how-to" book might be ok. If you can wait a few days, here's a book worth reading. VERY informative and written for the DIYer.

http://www.tileyourworld.com/catalog...34a73de437c885

Old 04-01-08, 05:41 AM
Thanks, Bathroom is really small and I dont have any cracks in the slab. Just a really black film from the original chemical that was used 34 years ago. It doesnt seem to want to come off even when I sand paper it.

I seen shows on TV and YouTube about Tiling and how to lay the thinset (or compound) and put in each tile. I assume the book will give me other pointers advise.

Old 04-01-08, 08:16 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Did you remove ceramic tiles or vinyl tiles. I don't know of any ceramic tiles that would have been installed with a black adhesive. However years ago vinyl tiles were all installed with black adhesive.

You should scrape up as much of the black adhesive as you possibly can. There will still be a stain remaining that you will not be able to remove.

You CAN NOT use sandpaper.
You CAN NOT use chemicals.

Once you have the black adhesive removed (as best you can) you would then use a modified thinset mortar. This is a dry powder that you mix with water. The black adhesive is known as "cutback adhesive". Choose a dry powder thinset mortar that says it can be used over cutback adhesive.

Old 04-02-08, 03:38 PM
Thanks for the info and your time!