tile over terrazzo

Old 04-20-08, 07:44 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
tile over terrazzo

I am somewhat familiar with putting down tile on backer board but just bought a home that has a terrazzo floor shower and wondering if or how can I put down tile over it or do I need to tear it out?

Old 04-21-08, 01:04 PM
T
Received 56 Votes on 53 Posts
tear out terrazzo?

That option is just a bit easier than "remove the slab", and might be the same. My home has 1.5" of terrazzo on 4 more inches of concrete. Anyway, since it should be ground smooth and quite flat, it's a great base for tile, assuming its not cracked and moving. I'd dewax it first.

edit: a shower. not likely its waxed, sorry..

Last edited by telecom guy; 04-21-08 at 01:05 PM. Reason: shower
Old 04-22-08, 03:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Good morning,

Actually, it's a little more complicated than that...here's a response from Tile USA:

There are many kinds of terrazzo floors; some are made with cement while others use epoxy and other resins.

The tile system chosen for tiling over the terrazzo must take into account the building structure and design as generally indicated in the TCA Handbook for Ceramic Tile Installation (e.g. the methods for tiling a suspended slab are different from those for tiling concrete on grade).

The thinset chosen, if a thinset method is used, must be compatible with the type of terrazzo AND recommended by the thinset manufacturer for that purpose. Typically epoxy thinsets are used on epoxy terrazzo and cementitious thinsets are used on cement-based terrazzo.

In general, it is best to discuss the exact application with the grout and mortar company you normally use. Inspection of the job site may be necessary as well. An anti-fracture membrane may be needed where there are cracks in the terrazzo or any potential separation between the terrazzo and the metal divider strips.

You can visit the website for additional details, as well as the full response.

http://www.tileusa.com/tileoverterrazzo_faq.htm

Connie

Old 05-09-08, 01:39 PM
H
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Why would you want tile over terrazzo? Grout stains.. potential problems with tile staying..
I'd just have the terrazzo redone!

Bob

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 05-09-08 at 02:23 PM. Reason: Removed advertising link

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: