Sub Floor for Ceramic tyle

Old 04-27-08, 05:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sub Floor for Ceramic tyle

Hello. I am instaling 500sf of ceramic tyle in our home. this is my first time tiling. Our home inspector said that the spacing for the floor joist are to code and will be fine. After ripping up the existing sticky tack tile and linolium I noticed that I have two layers to my floor. 1 is a thick layer of plywood and the other is particle board. I purchased a special peel and stick ceramic recomended subfloor called EasyMat Backerboard. Is this sufficient for my fsubfloor? Also in the front entrance of the house when you step in the door the floor squeaks. does this mean that there is a high amount of flex? would you recommend fixing it before tiling? Also. In my kitchen I have the same plywood with the particle board on top. should I take off the particle board and place 1/4 backerboard throughout? or can I tile on the particle board?

I am also tiling my master bath. I removed the linolium and AGAIN have that same plywood particle board floor . Around the seem of the toilet we had a leak and the floor is damaged. Should I rip everything out here as well and do the backerboard or can I tile over the ply.-part. subfloor.

Thanks for everything!

Loreyna

Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-08, 06:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Particle board cannot be a part of any tiling installation. Did the inspector do a deflection calculation to determine if your floor is suitable for tile?

Here's a calculator:

http://www.johnbridge.com/vbulletin/deflecto.pl

You DO NOT want to tile onto particle board. Remove the particle board, and install a CBU in it's place. Ceramic tile should have at least a 5/8" thick subfloor made from exterior AC/BC grade plywood.

Old 04-28-08, 01:29 PM
H
Received 8 Votes on 8 Posts
Loreyna

Our home inspector said that the spacing for the floor joist are to code and will be fine.
This doesnt tell us anything and you shouldnt rely on it.

You need to give us some details so we can help you. We need to know the size of the floor joists, the on center spacing of the joists and the unsupported span of the joists for each room. How thick is the plywood subfloor? The particle board was underlayment for your vinyl tile and linoleum, and is not suitable for ceramic tile so it has to go.

Any damaged subfloor plywood should be replaced.