Help - I'm a Tiling Idiot

Old 04-28-08, 10:55 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help - I'm a Tiling Idiot

First time poster and a newbie to tiling projects. After reading all the advice here in the forum I decided to tackle the tiling project I have been putting off for a couple of years. Had slate down in a room, directly adhered to plywood subfloor. Been there since the house was built in '69. Removed the slate, and all of the leftover mastic on the subfloor. Installed another layer of 1/2" ext grade plywood over the existing 5/8" to gain flatness and stiffening. The joists are 2x8, with max spacing of 16", and max span of 11'. So the deflecto output looked good. I then was undecided about the next step, and from all the great posts about Ditra, I decided that was the way to go. Went to my local Home Depot, bought a couple of rolls, Versabond, and a 1/4" square notch trowel ( I saw mixed reviews on the v notch vs the square notch, and figured that having a litte more stuff under the mat would be ok). Went to work cutting and laying the mat in the Versabond. I noticed after setting the mat (used the bull nose of a stair tread to embed)that there was a little bit of movement, and squwishiness to the product, like there was too much stuff underneath. Didn't think much about it and figured that it would settle out. The next day, I noticed some lumps in the mat and not as flat as I thought it should be. Now, I'm not sure why, but a took a ruler out and measured the notch in the trowel, and lo and behold it was 1/4 x3/8!!!! Must have got mixed in with the 1/4x1/4 and I didn't notice, nor did it register that it didn't look square. So there's way too much stuff under the Ditra mat. It has hardened. Do I have to tear this stuff up and start over? Or can I fix the really bad parts with the wrong trowel, or am I just better off hiring someone as I am clueless.....????

Old 04-28-08, 12:20 PM
H
Received 9 Votes on 9 Posts
blk

Yeah unfortunately I think you need to start over. You have way too much thinset under the ditra. It'll be nearly impossible to tile that wavy floor with any kinda results you'll be happy with. Go to the Schluter website and read about ditra. They'll give you the correct trowel sizes to use and a whole lot more good info. The sooner you get that mess up the better.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: