prep slab after removal of old tile

Old 04-29-08, 11:48 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
prep slab after removal of old tile

I'm remodeling my small bathroom, including removing old cabinet sink and replacing with pedestal. That means no tile where the cabinet was, so I rented a chipping hammer and removed the old ugly tile from the rest of the floor. Now there is a lot of the old thinset still on the floor. The hammer damages the slab trying to get the old thinset up- so how do I get this up other than a hammer and chisel and lots of hammer swinging? If I get most of it up, can I put down a coat of thinset to make a level floor, let it completely dry and then add another coat to adhere the tile? From reading the forums, it appears that pre-mixed thinset isn't too popular... why? What should I use instead? Thanks in advance for any help!

Old 04-30-08, 01:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
What angle are you holding this chisel? You want to keep the chisel flat on the slab holding it slightly angled up from the floor.

Fill in any damaged slab area with patching compound or thinset.

Old 04-30-08, 04:01 PM
M
Thanks for the tip, but it's not the angle of the chisel. The question is can I take off the old thinset with any other mechanical method besides spending hours on my knees with a hammer and chisel?

Old 04-30-08, 04:35 PM
T
A grinder or a concrete scarifier will take it right down. Might even find the old mortar ridges will scrape up with a 4" hand held scraper. But yes, you can flat trowel thinset to smooth over the old ridges. Depending on the tile size and style, if the ridges are low, you can just tile right over the ridges in one step.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: