Discolored Slate

Old 05-11-08, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Discolored Slate

I had multicolor slate laid in my kitchen. My wife and I waited about 4 days to seal. About a week later we noticed some whitish discoloration around the edges of all the tile about a 1/4 inch thick. I used sparks glamor stone brand sealer. This was several months ago, we hoped it would go away but hasn't..... i believe i have come up with the culprit, but i am still looking for the solution, so if anyone has any ideas i sure would appreciate any input. latest diagnosis- when the guys "grouted" they did not wipe the grout over the whole tile they simply did the edges. the polymar in the grout absorbed into the slate around the edges and when we sealed it, the sealer would not take in those areas, or the polymar stained the stained or what have you, and that is the discoloration. had the guys wiped the grout all over the tile then the whole tile would have absorbed the polymar, instead of just the edges, and you would not be able to notice the discoloration b/c all the tile would look the same. does this make sense, and what would be your next step? All help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-08, 07:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
It sounds like a grout issue. The tiles should have been pre sealed PRIOR to grouting.

Not sure what to tell you since using acids on slate is not a recommended method.

Did you lay the tile down? If not, did you call the contractor who did lay it?

Old 05-12-08, 07:39 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Can you post some pictures so we can get a look at what you are seeing? Hard to say without pictures.

Old 05-12-08, 02:07 PM
i'll be glad to, does anyone know how? i'm not a computer guru, or totally computer illiterate either. i clicked the insert image and it is asking for a URL???? if anyone has any tips i'd be more than glad to post pics, for help from you guys. thanks

Old 05-12-08, 02:36 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
find a site like photobucket that will host your pics and then post the links here.

Old 05-12-08, 04:43 PM
ok let's see if this works. i'll try to attach, but you may have to copy and paste. all help will be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 05-12-08 at 05:43 PM.