re grouting

Old 05-12-08, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
re grouting

Well my procrastinating actually paid off. I started grouting 1/2 of my tile job using 13x13" tiles with 1/4" grout lines. Other things came up and the job was put on hold. I'm getting ready to grout my entire floor area now.
I noticed my previous grout job was becoming powdery at the surface. The dog went crazy and was actually digging the grout out of the joints after it had dried.
Now I have removed 99% of old grout( with help from dog) and am going to regrout the entire floor using TEC Accu color sanded grout.
What could I have done wrong the first time?
The grout was hard in some places but it could be scraped out easy in other places. I'm thinking when I started mixing it I did not add enough water, then added more to get the proper consistency. What is the max time you can add water when mixing initially without causing problems?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-08, 08:56 PM
Could be several reasons for the powdery grout. One of the biggest is when it dries out too quickly as in exposed to a heat source of full sun for a long period during and just after grouting. Another reason could be if it was old grout. The stuff does have a shelf life. Tec is a good brand, mix with a low speed drill. Too much rpm can introduce too much air into the mix which will also cause it to go powdery. Keep it inder 400 rpm.

Old 05-13-08, 05:44 AM
Well the grout has been in my garage for a while since I used it last. What is the shelf life?
I don't know how long it was on the shelf at the store.

Old 05-13-08, 07:57 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
If the grout wasnt any good before, it didnt get any better. If you have open bags of grout sitting around for some time, get rid of them and get new grout.

Old 05-13-08, 12:31 PM
Thanks, out with the old.

Old 05-22-08, 10:27 AM
update

Hi, I bought new grout, followed the directions and the new grout came out fine.It's dog proof now!