Grout Sealer is beading up!

Old 05-13-08, 10:04 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout Sealer is beading up!

Help! I grouted my new ceramic tile floor (in the bathroom) and let it "cure" for 72 hours. I couldn't wait to seal it as it seemed like it would be an easy process. HD recommended Dupont Grout Sealer with a "wheel" applicator bottle. However, as I apply the sealer, it simply beads up on the grout. I smoothed it over with my finger and let it sit, and that's all it did. It just sat there and wouldn't soak in. 2nd coat I tried to apply also beaded up. Am I using the wrong sealer?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-08, 02:23 AM
It almost sounds like the grout may not be ready for sealing..it may take longer to dry due to humidity or how the grout was prepared. Wheel applicators are best..but take practice.. They make it so your not getting overspray on the tiles, which can be a pain to remove. They usually dont throw a lot of offensive odor into the room. A good test would be to take plain water apply to the grout..see if it beads up or soaks in. If it soaks in then it may be the sealer being used. The sealer should soak in..being new grout it should take it pretty quick. If the sealer is a solvent based sealer..the tile may have to dry several days before ready for sealing. Water based sealers should take to it faster after grouting. What type of grout did you use?

Old 05-14-08, 07:52 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What do the instructions for the grout say as far as wait time for sealing. What do the instructions for the sealer say as far as wait time for sealing. Exactly what kinda grout did you use? Was it regular grout from a bag that you mixed with water, was it epoxy grout, was it a premixed grout? Exactly what kinda sealer did you use. Dupont is Stonetech. So which stonetech product did you use?

Old 05-14-08, 08:58 AM
I prepared the powdered grout per instructions, mixing with water. I should mention I mixed it by hand as I didn't have a stir bit for my drill. I let it dry for 72 hours per the grout instructions. I used "Dupont Grout Sealer" in a brown bottle. I tried the water test and it too beaded up in places just like the sealer. Nothing seems to want to soak into this grout. I really want to put baseboards on, but prefer to get this grout sealed first. Guess I should wait another week and try to seal it again?? I'll start cutting and painting my baseboards and will try again in a few days to see if there's any change. Any other suggestions would be helpful. Thanks for everyone's input!!

Old 05-14-08, 09:14 AM
What was the exact grout that you used, manufacturer and product?

Old 05-14-08, 01:18 PM
You didnt answer my question but I'm guessing you used Custom Prism grout. It wont absorb much sealer (if any) at all. Waiting wont make a difference. Theres nothing wrong with the grout or the sealer. Don't bother to try sealing it again.

Old 05-14-08, 02:55 PM
I used "Mapei Keracolor S" grout.

Old 05-14-08, 03:06 PM
I dont use mapei products so cant help you. I did see this in their literature though.

Grout may be sealed after 21 days or according to manufacturer of sealer being used. Please read sealer manufacturer's instructions prior to proceeding.

Old 05-14-08, 11:45 PM
Thanks for the info. I'll try again with random tests over the next few weeks to see if it'll absorb.

Old 05-15-08, 07:33 PM
Originally Posted by HGram View Post
I used "Mapei Keracolor S" grout.
You could google Mapei and get a tech rep to help you. The Keracolor should be able to take a sealer. They have a new line called Opticolor which is ike the Prism line HJ mentioned. It doesnt have to be sealed.