Need help with uneven floor

Old 05-14-08, 01:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with uneven floor

Hello all

I am in the process of trying to install 12x12 slate tile in an area 12'x13'. The floor is concrete with a few hairline cracks and it slopes down about 1/2" in the middle of the floor, This slope spans the entire length of the area. I am assuming it was for water drainage because it leads to a drain in another area. The slope is gradual down to the 1/2" then back up in around 6'. I need to know if I would need to level this and what should I use to do so. The concrete will soak up water so I'm pretty sure there isnt any kind of sealer on it. It is smoot but not glossy smooth. What would I need to do to get the floor ready for the laying of the tile? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-08, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Hey Johnny - nice name.

Tile slab doesnt need to be level, but it should be fairly flat. It should be out no more than 1/4" in 10'. It will be difficult to use 12" tile on a sloped floor like this.

Do you have a water problem and is this sloped floor and drain part of the solution? How will flattening the floor affect your water drainage problem?

You could level this floor but it wont be cheap. You could level the slab with a self leveling compound.

Since you have some minor cracking, you may also want to use an isolation membrane over the slab. As long as the hairline cracks do not have one side of the crack higher than the other you are probably ok.

Put water on various areas of the slab to make sure that the slab will absorb water.