Adding a fixture in pre-existing tile

Old 05-20-08, 10:08 PM
I
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Adding a fixture in pre-existing tile

Hello -

New here. New to bathroom remodelling. New to tiling. Long story short, previous owners installed a jacuzzi tub and a ceiling shower head, but never bothered to install a fixture or a diverter to turn the shower on/off. I need to cut a hole in the ceramic tile backsplash and through the cement board backing in order to mount a fixture so that my plumber can hook up the pipes and make the shower head functional.

What do I need to cut through the necessary tile without shattering the tile around it? Is it best to cut from the outside (tile side) - in or the inside (of the wall) - out. I'd prefer it to be a relatively clean cut but if not, the fixture has enough trim to cover any jagged edges or small mistakes, to a limited degree. The fixture requires a hole roughly 4" in diameter. The tiles are 3x5 ceramic.

I did a search on this forum and others and haven't been able to find a thread which quite answers my question. If this has already been covered, links to such threads would be much appreciated in lieu of direct advice.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-21-08, 11:25 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maybe a local rental yard has a diamond core bit for rent, but an angle grinder with a dry diamond wheel will do it too.

Front, back, I see no difference, except for available working room.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 10 seconds.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: