Tiling a shower wall

Old 05-24-08, 08:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tiling a shower wall

Am I ok to use 1/2 inch of thinset on a shower wall? Tile is 3/8 inch thick. Using 1/2 inch Wedi as the backer.....other side of the wall is drywalled and complete.....plumber left the valve about 3/8 of an inch proud. Going to 1/2 inch vs the 1/4 inch thinset I was planning would fix and avoid getting back into the drywall. Thoughts??

Thanks again in advance....you all have saved me from myself multiple times already!!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 07:48 AM
Your post is a little confusing. If the valve body is 3/8" proud of the Wedi wall and your tile is 3/8" thick, your valve is set dead on. A 1/4" trowel held at a 45 deg angle and then having a tile pressed into it will only leave slightly more than 1/6" behind your tile in build up.

Old 05-25-08, 05:04 PM
Thanks Tilebri......expect you're right about the confusion and maybe why not much response. Directions for the valve show the back flange as flush with the back side of the backer (thick wall installation) or reset enough to put the tile over it...(thin wall). The way my valve is set, when I finish the wall the finished surface will be flush with the flange.....can only tighten the escutheon down to within 1/4 inch of the finished surface as things are now....thus the dilemma. Tile is 6X6. Options as I see them are go with 1/2 inch thinset (not ideal thus my question)....could do the 1/4 inch and back butter 1/4 inch on the tile .......or call the plumber back and destroy the wall (what I'm really trying to avoid). Greatly appreciate your thoughts/recs....

Old 05-26-08, 06:20 AM
Received 24 Votes on 23 Posts
Pink - why not do a dry run test fitup to see how things fit. Use scrap plywood instead of tile and screw it to the wall.

Old 05-27-08, 03:57 AM
Had actually done that with the backer board and a piece of plywood. Decided yesterday working around a plumbing mistake isn't a good road to go down so I took out the wall and fixed the plumbing. Tile will now go on using normal procedure.

Thanks to all for your thoughts......