Location of threshold under interior door

Old 05-24-08, 04:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Location of threshold under interior door

I expect to place a wooden threshold between a hallway and a bathroom as a transition between two different tile designs. Where exactly does the threshold go relative to the door and therefore where do I stop the tile in the bathroom? Is the threshold centered under the center of the door stop or is it centered under the face of the door? How far from the center of the threshold should I stop the tile in order to allow any part of the threshold to go between the two tiles?

Thanks. This is a new home so I do not have any reference points to look at!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-24-08, 04:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Basically you don't want to see the tile from the hallway or the wood from the bath rm, when the door is shut.

Old 05-24-08, 05:40 PM
Followup question

Thanks for the welcome!

Sorry, I'm a little confused. There will be tile on both sides of the wood threshold. Are you saying the wood threshold should not be seen from the bathroom or did you think I meant wood floor in the hallway instead of tile in the hallway? I think you mean to say you shouldn't see the floor on the opposite side of the door. Is that right?

Thanks

Old 05-25-08, 05:05 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Ok, I misunderstood [I should have paid closer attention when I read your post] Normally a piece of marble is used instead of wood when there is a different tile on both sides of the door.

You don't want to see the tile in the other room when the door is shut. How wide is the wood you intend to use?

Old 05-25-08, 08:25 AM
More followup

Thanks for the clarification. I have not gotten a threshold yet, but I assume it would be about 2"

Is there a functional reason why they are usually marble? Our house is more suited to wood.

Thanks

Old 05-25-08, 09:02 AM
Is there a functional reason why they are usually marble?
Yes...marble is a similar enough material that the intersection of the marble and ceramic is grouted. Also, the raised height of the marble will contain any small spills/water accumulation on the floor that may run towards the door and will not be affected. Wood thresholds need a caulk joint between the tile and the wood, not grout as the differential expansion/contraction would result in grout cracking. Also, wood doesn't like water.