first tile install

Old 05-24-08, 08:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
first tile install

I am ready to do my first tile job. i have schulter ditra down on concrete slab using modified thinset (pre-mixed.) The ditra is level minus except for one spot which is a little low.

Question 1? Can I level the low spot during the tile istall?

2? I already have a 3.5 gallon bucket of pre mixed modifed thinset. Ditra urges using unmodified thin set to adhere the tiles to the ditra. I am all for following the directions but was curious if the modified would work? Has anyone ever done so?

The ditra instructions advised tomuse unmodified to adhere the ditra to the concrete subfloor. I used modified and it took just fine.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-08, 07:13 AM
You might be able to safely pull up the Ditra and wash the mastic off of it. You certainly cannot proceed until you install the Ditra correctly.

In any case, Schluter calls for unmodified for Ditra to slab and unmodified for Ditra to tile.

Given that you have both Ditra and mastic labeled as "premixed thinset" I can only assume you bought it all at HD. If you did, and somebody in an orange apron told you you could use them together, and with apologies to HotinOKC, I must suggest you go to HD, ask to speak to the manager and demand replacement product for free after scraping up and bringing back the mess. This time, just leave with Ditra. Head over to lowes and grab yourself a few bags of Laticrete Megabond or Mepei Keraset or Kerabond thinset as HD does not carry an unmodified thinset that's of quality enough to really use with Ditra. When you are at Lowes, do not let them sell you on the latex additive for the unmodified.

If you purchased all those materials on your own, thinking you were just going to make your life easier by not mixing, then you are on your own for the lost cost of materials if you have a conscience.

Old 05-29-08, 09:39 PM
not to hijack thread but...

You say not to get the latex adhesive when you buy the latticrete...why is this?

Old 05-30-08, 06:52 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
You say not to get the latex adhesive when you buy the latticrete...why is this?
Unmodified thinset is required, therefore no additive.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 115 seconds.
Cmon man.

Old 05-30-08, 07:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Where is it written in the Schluter DITRA Installation Instructions that it says to use pre-mixed thinset with the DITRA product? Did I miss that?

Old 05-30-08, 11:36 AM
Bud, that was a week ago. I wonder the outcome, he never posted back.

Old 05-30-08, 12:51 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
We must not have given the right answers!