Showerpan repair

Old 06-15-08, 10:47 AM
F
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Showerpan repair

I can't afford to redo my bathroom so I was looking for a way to repair the shower pan that is leaking into the crawlspace.

I was going to order this kit: http://leakyshower.com/leakingshower.htm
It seems as though I drill out the old grout and inject the epoxy into the cracks all the way around the shower. After that regrout the whole shower.

Then I was going to do this:http://www.thesuperhandyman.com/leak.html Apply 2 coats of any clear masonry sealer

Final step, a contractor will crawl under the house and repair the moisture damaged wood for around $500-2 joists, a pier, part of the beam.

Any tips or advice? Tearing out the shower and starting over is too $$$ right now. We had a few tile guys give us bids and after all the reading, they are still doing the old hot mop method. No one here does Kerdi/Ditra and if I have to replace it down the road, I surely would pick that!

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Old 06-15-08, 11:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
If your walls are okay, building a new mud shower pan is not expensive. It's just topping sand and mortar mix. We're talking about $50 is sand plus the liner and drain.

What you propose would only be temporary......maybe a year or two.

Old 06-15-08, 11:45 AM
fido,

You are spending a lot of money for no good reason. Your approach to this matter is opposite of what it should be.

Repair the shower floor first. THEN fix the damaged that it caused. If your that poor right now you certainly can't afford to do what you are suggesting.

You could redo the shower floor yourself for that same $500 you are trying to give away to someone else and still not have the shower fixed.

Old 06-15-08, 04:02 PM
F
Thanks Mark and Bud, Thanks for saving me from a bunch of hard work for nothing. I bet that epoxy would be a bear to tear out too when it failed.

I guess I will try to just demo the shower floor, the walls are good and the leak is where the wall meets the shower floor. If I can expose the floor, replace the shower pan, then I just retile the shower floor. As it is now, the wall tiles are different from the floor tiles anyway. The curb however is the same as the wall tiles so do I need to open that up too? Will i be able to remove those tiles and save them? guess I better go read up on demo. None of the tile guys would just do the floor or even 1/2 up the wall, said they couldn't guarantee it wouldn't leak. I wonder if I could use a kerdi pan and kerdi band to repair the bottom only?

The $500 is to repair the wood rot under the subfloor in the crawlspace. I can't do that myself! The shower pan leaked under the subfloor but ran under the other bathroom and rotted out the pier, 2 joists and part of the beam, it's major and tiny tight under there. The subfloor under the shower looks fine from the crawlspace.

Old 06-15-08, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
@Hot and Bud

Just in case you didn't see the original post. Help this lady out, you da MAN's (MEN's?)!

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=348830

Old 06-15-08, 05:33 PM
Let's keep it here now. I wasn't aware of that other thread and I'm not going into overtime on this.

Old 06-15-08, 08:03 PM
F
Actually, this darn problem has been going on for a year! It all started with falling through the popcorn ceiling and that repari and then all of you helped me with the installation of my hardwood floors. Everyone was so helpful, more than helpful, they got me through it!

Naturally, my beautiful floors started to cup so I put the plastic over the dirt under the crawspace-again with lots of help from here. That is when I found the leak-first the shower drain, then the toilet drain, then toilet and now shower pan. Luckily, these bathrooms are away from the main hardwood floors and running 2 dehumidifiers has saved the floors.

I spent the last 2 days reading everything I could find and thanks to this board, I KNOW I can do it. I am going to demo the shower and see how it goes from there. I will probably have to get someone to come in and do the wood repair as I don't even own a saw but I may as well wait until I can actually see the subfloor under the shower. At that point, it may be cheaper to do the repair from the top and try to add support to actually install a tile floor in the bathroom along with the new shower.

I really like the idea of the kerdi shower. I think if I can do the demo, have someone hang the drywall and then prep with the kerdi for a pro tile setter, I will save a ton!

It's just going to take long and already the hordes are screaming over sharing one bath-ack. The thought of carting all that mess down the beautiful hardwood hallway makes me want to cry but better me than someone who wouldn't care, I guess.

Thanks again! I'll post back if I need more help,( should say when not if.)

Old 06-15-08, 08:16 PM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Princess,

Those two kits are a waste of time and will not solve your problem,

The plumber's advice from the other thread is useless too. Why a so called plumber wouldn't know that grout cracks, or even missing grout or missing tiles have nothing to do with leaks out of the shower pan, is hard to believe. Your shower pan is designed to keep any water that gets through to it from leaking out. Even if you removed all the tiles, it should not leak if done right and/or not damaged. Many "pros" and most homeowners do not understand this.

I see you have replied before I'll be finished with this reply. Maybe you should first understand how your shower was built? You can go here to see a traditional pan construction. http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html --- Also see a few Kerdi shower I have built here; http://picasaweb.google.com/tile4youinc

I know you'll have more questions, we'll be here.

Jaz

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: