Remove Tile Without Damage To Surrounding Tiles

Old 06-29-08, 01:19 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remove Tile Without Damage To Surrounding Tiles

When we had our living room tiled with porcelain tile a few years ago, we agreed to let the installer cut the tiles to fit around a large entertainment center that was sitting on carpet, and attached to the wall. Turns out to be a bad decision as we now want to change the design of the entertainment center and have it sitting on the tile rather than being surrounded by it. I have two questions about this.

How can I remove the grout around the base of the entertainment center with minimum damage to the wood?

How can I remove the necessary 10 tiles that need to be replaced with full size tiles without doing any damage to the surrounding tiles? They are glued to Hardi-board.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-08, 01:25 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi!

Get yourself a grout saw from the flooring section of a big box store.

It looks like this:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...ctId=100565677

Remove all the grout from around the tiles you want to remove, then take a chisel and a mallet and knock out the tile you want to remove.

Old 06-29-08, 01:37 PM
Thanks. I will pick up one of those from the local Home Depot.

What about the Hardi-board? I assume that it will all have to be replaced that was under the removed tile.

Old 06-29-08, 03:01 PM
If you can get the thinset up without damaging the hardiebacker, you could reuse it, but that is unlikely.

It will probably be a bear to get up because the board should be thinsetted and screwed to the subfloor.

Old 06-29-08, 04:28 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
You are going to have to buy more hardibacker anyway to fill in the areas under the entertainment center, so don't worry about that part. The key to not damaging any of the surrounding tile is to work from the inside of a piece of tile outward. The grout line will act like a natural boundry to keep you from chipping the edge of a piece of tile you want to keep.

The first one will be the hardest to get out. Take a hammer and crack the tile in the middle. Then start working your way toward the outer edges. It should release easily from the entertainment center. Worry first about getting the tile up and less about the grout. WIthout the tile, the grout will be easier to get out. You may or may not need a grout saw. They are for re-grouting (when you want to dig the grout out without damaging the tile). As you will be chipping these out, you may not need the saw.

Old 06-29-08, 04:54 PM
OK. Thanks. Anyway you look at it, the job will be a bear. I will probably do some it myself, then get a tile guy to finish the job. Even the entertainment center is going to be a big job. It's very large, and very heavy. It was custom-made by a cabinet shop. They will have to make the additional cabinets in order to widen it out two feet. Who ever started this big screen TV thing anyway?

Old 06-29-08, 07:01 PM
Also, do you have the extra tile from this last job on hand? If not, it's probably not available now and impossible to get.

Old 06-29-08, 08:10 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Also, do you have the extra tile from this last job on hand? If not, it's probably not available now and impossible to get.
Yes, we were able to find a box in a warehouse in Texas. Plus we had a few left over from the original job. We were really lucky to find that box from the original lot.

Old 07-04-08, 03:06 PM
Removing a few Mexican Tiles

I read the posts above and have a similar problem. There is a high spot on our Mexican tile mudroom floor that interferes with the seals on the bottom of the exterior door. Re-hanging the door so it sits higher isn't practical in this case.

The floor was installed when the house was built 32 years ago. Tiles are 8.5" square.

I need to remove five or six Mexican tiles and set them (or their replacements) about 1/8" lower.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 07-04-08, 03:32 PM
Do you a wood subfloor or concrete slab? If you have concrete slab, you will have to hammer chip the high spots down so the tile sits flush with the surrounding tiles.

Have you found replacement tiles?

Old 07-05-08, 07:11 PM
Hello Mark

The tile was installed on top of a plywood floor that rests on joists (basement under).

I haven't found any replacement tiles yet (just started looking into it).

Ed

Old 07-05-08, 07:42 PM
Just so you know....it is not acceptable to tile directly onto plywood....

This will give you a reason to get the new tile you've been looking at.

Old 07-05-08, 08:05 PM
The plywood I was referring to was seen by me looking up from below (from the basement). I don't yet know what's on top of the plywood or what's between the tiles and the plywood (if anything).

Old 07-05-08, 08:31 PM
Measuring the distance (thickness) between the top of the tile and the top of the plywood I get about 1.875"

I don't know how thick the tile is but assuming it's around 7/8" thick, there seems to be around 1 inch of something between the bottom of the tile and the top of the plywood sub-floor.

I also see (looking up from the basement) nails that are protruding downward (nails that were driven through the plywood from above).