Do I have this all straight?

Old 06-30-08, 03:36 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Red face Do I have this all straight?

I'm planning on putting in 16 x 16 ceramic tile in my kitchen and utility room. About 104 sq ft. It currently has 3 layers of vinyl tiles on it. I scrapped it down to sub floor in 2 small 12" areas - then after reading your forums realized the bottom most vinyl could be asbestos (built in 1970). Now after reading many more post my plan is to remove only the top two layers of vinyl then spread non-modified thinset over bottom layer (know it is not ideal but if asbestos -what else can I do) then place 1/4" durrock and screw it down -then use versabond (never use pre mixed anything ) and place my tiles. Does that sound right? I will remove the fridge, washer and dryer - but I will have to tile around the hot water heater, A/C and stove so I have to try to keep the level of the floor low - I did a deflection calculation and all is good. Is there a modifier additive I should use for the versabond? Will the 1/4" durrock properly installed be enough to "level" the areas there there are parts of botton vinyl left? What grout should I use? Any guess on how much time I should budget for this job - being a first timer? Anything I have missed or suggestions? Thanks!
Jennifer

Last edited by Okoya; 06-30-08 at 03:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-30-08, 07:42 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
It currently has 3 layers of vinyl tiles on it. I scrapped it down to sub floor in 2 small 12" areas - then after reading your forums realized the bottom most vinyl could be asbestos (built in 1970). Now after reading many more post my plan is to remove only the top two layers of vinyl then spread non-modified thinset over bottom layer (know it is not ideal but if asbestos -what else can I do) then place 1/4" durrock and screw it down -then use versabond (never use pre mixed anything ) and place my tiles.
You could have the bottom layer tested for asbestos and if its found not to contain asbestos then you could remove it. If it contains asbestos you could still remove it, there are ways. Its definintely best if you can remove all the vinyl. Do you know whats under the three layers of vinyl? What was used for underlayment for the original vinyl tile? Most likely, the underlayment used for the vinyl tiles will not be suitable in a tile installation.

If it contains asbestos and you decide you dont want to remove it, your plan of putting 1/4" durock over the vinyl wont work. You'll need to put down at least a 1/2" of exterior glue plywood prior to any cement board first.

Does that sound right? I will remove the fridge, washer and dryer - but I will have to tile around the hot water heater, A/C and stove so I have to try to keep the level of the floor low -
Everything needs to be done just so with ceramic tile so keeping the height of the floor low shouldnt be your first priority. You need to make sure that what you are doing will last a long time. Tile under the stove is probably a good idea. The water heater may be a pia to tile under. Dont know what kinda air conditioner you are talking about. Make sure your appliances will fit back where they belong after the new tile is installed.

Is there a modifier additive I should use for the versabond?
Versabond is already a modified thinset, you just add water, no additional additive.

Will the 1/4" durrock properly installed be enough to "level" the areas there there are parts of botton vinyl left?
Durock will follow the contour of the floor so no, but you already know from above you need plywood over the old vinyl if thats the route you must go. You would do any necessary leveling with a cement based floor patching compound on top of the durock.

What grout should I use?
Any cement based grout will do.

Any guess on how much time I should budget for this job - being a first timer?
Time budget? Cmon you havent even started yet Jennifer, Whats the rush?