Marble Tiles Coming Loose

Old 07-03-08, 10:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Marble Tiles Coming Loose

A friend of mine just bought a house and noticed that the grout was cracking around the marble tiles (12x12)in the bathroom (high traffic areas, mostly). She asked me to look into it, as I've done a number of ceramic tile projects (not marble specifically, though). So, I removed all the grout, and sure enough, several of the tiles were so loose, I could just "pop" them up whole, with essentially no effort. It appears the underside of the marble tiles are coated with a clear resin or varnish (presumably to keep the fragile tile from cracking?). The tiles were set using thinset mortar, which seemed to have been properly applied with a notched trowel. But there was no thinset stuck to the bottom of the tile at all, like I've observed when removing standard ceramic tile. Seems the slick finish on the tile bottom inhibits a good bond, as far as I could tell. So what's the story on installing marble tile? How do you get a good strong bond between the tile and thinset? What went wrong, do you think? And how do I reattach the tiles back to the floor? At first I attempted to scrape off the old thinset (in preparation for reapplying it), but it was stuck good to the mortar bed below, which was disintegrating and crumbling while I was trying to remove the old thinset. I'm starting to create a monster project here. Please help!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-08, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Scrape the backs with a highly modified thinset or use an epoxy thinset.

A friend of mine just bought a house
The infamous "right or wrong, do it as cheap as possible because we're selling the house" has bit you and your friend in the arse.