Starting New Bathroom Tile Project

Old 07-04-08, 07:53 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Starting New Bathroom Tile Project

Hi All,

I'm starting a new bathroom tile project this morning and I already have a few questions. When the home was built in 1994 the floor was linolium, the previous owners installed carpet over the linolium (in a bathroom, yea, right). This morning I pulled up the carpet and all the tack strips, then surprizingly the linolium pulled right up as well. Under the linolium is concrete, here's a few questions.

First, when I pulled up the linolium a gray paper type stuff was left behind over most of the floor. I assume this is the linolium backing. Do I need to try and get this stuff up and if so what's the easiest way, wet it with water first?

Second, since I've hit the concrete foundation (subfloor?) do I need to put down any type of backing board before laying the tile? If so, how would I attach the board to the concrete? Some type of construction glue, nails?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Best Regards,

Matt

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-08, 08:18 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hey Matt!

Get a floor scraper from a big box store, and scrape up as much of that old vinyl backing as you can. A heat gun or some Jasco adhesive remover will help.

Once that is up, you can either tile directly over the concrete with a good modified/fortified thinset (Versabond, etc) or if your budget permits, get some Schluter Ditra underlayment, then tile. You do not put a backerboard over concrete.

Happy 4th!

Old 07-04-08, 09:15 AM
Thanks Mark, that's great news! I was hoping I wouldn't have to put down any kind of backing board. What prompted this project, other than carpet in the bathroom being silly, was that the bathroom shares a wall with the garage. On the garage side of the wall is the Heat/AC/Water Heater room. The drain pipe on the AC got plugged up and water ran under the wall, into the bathroom, and wet the carpet. I fixed the drain on the AC yesterday.

Anyway, the gray linolium backing came up really easy where it was wet under the linolium so I think if I just wet the rest of it I should have no problem scaping it off the concrete.

Just finished pulling down all the wall paper in there as the wife wants to change that as well..... funny, a few week ago she said this bathroom was going to be HER project, I guess I should have known better

Matt