Glue Removal from Concrete floor

Old 07-08-08, 10:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Glue Removal from Concrete floor

I have vinyl tiles on a concrete floor that I want to replace with ceramic tile. The tiles are easily removed however, the glue, still sticky in places is not. I've tried ALL the adhesive removers and the strongest paint remover that I can find. No luck.
Recently I read on one of these forums from June 2006, that an expert used "GLUE BUSTER" then sold in H/D. If they did they don't anymore. I googled it and found a mfg in Canada, but they don't sell/ship to the USA.
Anyone know if this product might be available under a different name?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-08, 04:59 PM
You should remove the adhesive mechanically rather than chemically if you want anything to bond properly to your concrete. A 4" razor scraper will make short work of it without compromising the bond of future floorcoverings like chemical adhesive removers and solvents will.

Old 07-12-08, 09:01 PM
glue removal

Thanks Daniel,
I got your original message after some retracing.

Old 07-13-08, 07:17 AM
i am in the middle of this now. i tried a razor scraper. it got some of it off, but down in the valleys in did not touch it, so much of the glue was still there. maybe thats ok, but its not with me. i put a twister wire, wire wheel on my 4 1/2" angle grinder and went to town. its taking up, from what i can tell, 99% of the glue. and a few small piece of the concrete. messy, but the end result should be great.

Old 07-13-08, 08:34 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Remove as much of the adhesive as possible. When you are done, all that should remain is a stain of the adhesive. You should be able to scrape almost all of the adhesive off so that the slab is flat. Some thinsets can be used over adhesives. Read the instructions on the bag of what ever thinset you buy to make sure it can be use over adhesives.

Old 05-27-09, 12:33 PM
THE answer to getting glue off concrete floors

I have the exact same problem, and since the original post is three years old I'll assume you've moved on. But for anyone else facing this issue, here is the answer. I also tried every imaginable way to get the glue off the floor. Scrapers, wire brushes, every chemical on the shelves. Finally I found on-line this stuff called Mast Away. Now so far I have only done about 30 square feet with their MA-22, but it is really taking the stuff up. Easily. Brush it on, let it, sit then scrape. Now the only thing is it cost $82 for a five gallon pail, that included shipping. They tell me a gallon will do 100 square feet. Hope this helps. Good luck.