Cleaning Floor Tile in Bathroom

Old 07-07-08, 04:29 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cleaning Floor Tile in Bathroom

We just purchased our first house and my wife was cleaning the bathroom floor (ceramic tile). She pointed out how disgusting it was, as there was a thin layer of "film" all over the floor that was coming up. Upon closer inspection, it was a hard, flaky coating on the "uncleaned" tile, but was rubbery and pliable after it came off - even after it dried. I was affraid she had taken the glaze right off the tile, but did not think that could happen with what she was using.

She used Pledge Multi-Surface Floor Cleaner (states on bottle that it can be used on ceramic tile) and a standard sponge floor mop.

What is this stuff that is coming off the tile!?

Old 07-07-08, 06:55 AM
T
Probably the tile was either sealer was allowed to dry on the tile or perhaps some after market traction coating, that, mixed with residual soap scum, hairspray overspray, yummy dead skin cells of the previous owner (you had to ask ), all mixed into a pleasant slurry that dried on the tile. The cleaner would not have affected the tile.

Old 07-07-08, 07:37 AM
C
I just found one of the spare tiles in storage and compare that to what is installed. The spare does not have the "film" on it and I scrubbed at it with the same cleaner and an abbrasive pad - nothing came off.

As stated in your post, I have read about post-installation sealants and anti-slip coatings that could have been applied. Perhaps this is what is coming up.

The house is only 2 years old. Scary to think that the previous home owners may have never cleaned the floor.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: