Ceramic tile possible?

Old 07-15-08, 03:12 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile possible?

I'm preparing to redo my entranceway floor, which is part of the living room. The original floor was hardwood which had old vinyl flooring over it. I removed the vinyl and hardwood so I'm down to the sub-floor. What I found was 1/2" plywood over 2x8, 16"o.c., with a span of 11'6". Is there anything I can replace this sub-floor with and add tile on top without a huge height difference in the adjacent hardwood floor?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-08, 04:28 PM
Temporarily Suspended
Why does the sub floor need to be replaced?

Old 07-15-08, 04:58 PM
The sub-floor plywood is not T&G and there is a lot of flex where the joints are not supported by the floor joists.

Old 07-15-08, 08:14 PM
Temporarily Suspended
I'm confused. Plywood comes in sheets so it's never T&G, correct?

Old 07-15-08, 08:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Pulpo View Post
I'm confused. Plywood comes in sheets so it's never T&G, correct?

Wrong, the first layer of subflooring should be T&G ply.

According to what you provided, your current subfloor/joists cannot support Ceramic tile. You need to beef up your joists either by sistering them, or adding additional support to the span.

You need to meet deflection requirements.

1/2" subfloor is not good enough either. If it were mine, I would take that up and lay down at least a layer of 5/8" T&G ply, then a underlayment.

Old 07-17-08, 02:34 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I'm preparing to redo my entranceway floor, which is part of the living room. The original floor was hardwood which had old vinyl flooring over it. I removed the vinyl and hardwood so I'm down to the sub-floor. What I found was 1/2" plywood over 2x8, 16"o.c., with a span of 11'6". Is there anything I can replace this sub-floor with and add tile on top without a huge height difference in the adjacent hardwood floor?
Ian

The floor joist system at best is at the very bare bones minimum. You need to do some work to make the joist system suitable for ceramic tile. It could be as simple as sistering 2x6's to the existing 2x8's along 2/3 of the existing joists.

Minimum subfloor for ceramic tile is 5/8" t&g plywood or osb. Your 1/2" square edge plywood is not adequate. You could cut the existing plywood out and replace it with 5/8" t&g. You would need to block all the edges where you make the cuts. A better solution would be to go over the existing plywood with 5/8" exterior glue plywood. You could then use an isolation membrane over the new plywood. The total added height would be about 3/4" or possibly less depending on what membrane you use.

Ceramic tile requires stiffer and stronger floors than other floor coverings. As such it is often not possible to have a ceramic tile floor at the same height as adjacent floor coverings. Thats just the way it is with ceramic tile. There are always acceptable transition solutions.

Old 07-18-08, 05:43 AM
Thanks for the replies. I think this is more work than I want to take on just for ceramic tile. I may go with some type of laminate flooring.