Grout or caulk?

Old 07-20-08, 05:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Grout or caulk?

I am about ready to start a tiling job. 12x12 slate. After I get tile set I would like to know if I use grout or caulk around the perimeter of the room where the tile meets the wall? How far from the stud should the tile be? Tile is going in a basement on top of a cement floor. Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-08, 09:14 AM
i'm not going to use either. i am going to use 1/4 round molding. and leave about a 1/8" gap.

Old 07-20-08, 09:44 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Yup, like condo stated, you don't need to caulk or grout this area.

I would first like to know what you are setting this slate on, i.e. concrete slab, wooden subfloor, etc. Also, what thinset are you using?

Old 07-20-08, 02:04 PM
It is going on a concrete floor in my basement. I have Mega bond and the adhesive additive that goes with it.

Old 07-22-08, 06:10 AM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Johnny R

Make sure the concrete slab is not sealed or painted. The slab needs to be able to absorb water for the thinset to bond properly. Are there any cracks at all in the slab? If so, describe them. How large of an area are you tiling?

Old 07-22-08, 09:36 AM
The floor absorbs water and I have some cracks but I picked up some membrane and the area is 12'x13' only tiles I will have to cut will be in 2 door frames.

Old 07-22-08, 03:01 PM
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
only tiles I will have to cut will be in 2 door frames.
Really, well good luck with that.

Gunguy is this it?

OK so let me explain. I have never set tile in a room where the only cuts I had to make were at "door frames". That room will have to be perfectly square, and will require a lot of planning to do so. That plan will also include cutting thin pieces of tile at the doors that will not look good.

Check out this thread. This is what will happen when you try to fit all full tile into a space that is not perfectly square and to exact size. This is a wall but the theory is the same. You may have a little fudge room with base moulding but not enough in my opinion.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=353529

Last edited by HeresJohnny; 07-22-08 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Gunguy showed me the light. Thanks