Coping with a ceramic tile goof

Old 07-24-08, 01:31 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Coping with a ceramic tile goof

When I built my house, I did a lot of things myself ($$ reasons) even though I didn't have the best skills.

I laid my own 13-inch ceramic tile floor, but I either got some bad advice or misunderstood advice I got. The short story: I laid the tile directly over the subfloor believing the flooring (16-inch joists, 7/8-inch plywood subfloor newly laid by a professional) was sound and smooth enough to support the tile. Guess I was wrong. Now, five years later, three tiles have cracked.

I can chisel them out and replace the cracked ones, but is there anything I can do at this point to prevent more from breaking?

Thank you for you help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-08, 01:56 PM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
I laid my own 13-inch ceramic tile floor, but I either got some bad advice or misunderstood advice I got. The short story: I laid the tile directly over the subfloor believing the flooring (16-inch joists, 7/8-inch plywood subfloor newly laid by a professional) was sound and smooth enough to support the tile. Guess I was wrong. Now, five years later, three tiles have cracked.

I can chisel them out and replace the cracked ones, but is there anything I can do at this point to prevent more from breaking?
Ceramic tile needs an underlayment, its not optional. You can't set tile directly to a plywood subfloor. Replacing a few cracked tiles is just a bandaid. Over time the floor will continue to get worse. Tear out what you have and do it right. I know thats not what you want to hear but thats what has to be done.

Old 07-24-08, 06:56 PM
C
if you are happy with the tile color, just replace the 3 tiles and hope for the best. whats the worst that can happen ? you have to replace the whole floor. what the best that can happen ? the tiles last forever.

9 years ago, i rebuilt my mother inlaws bathroom. 50y/o house. 1 1/2" thick plywood subfloor. tile right on top of that. it still looks like the day i layed it.

Old 07-24-08, 08:38 PM
J
I've installed tile over plywood too, (maybe 21 years ago? That was a very common practice then to save money. Got to the point where 3/8" AC Fir started to cost about the same or more than cement backer, and so it was a no-brainer after that.

The only reason your in law's floor lasted so long is that there is little traffic and probably little dampness. It's never a good idea to install tile over wood. Plus of course the issue is he went over the subfloor...you can't do that.

Jaz

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 07-25-08 at 07:17 AM. Reason: Unnecessary comment.
Old 07-25-08, 07:14 AM
H
Received 7 Votes on 7 Posts
1 1/2" thick plywood subfloor. tile right on top of that. it still looks like the day i layed it.
I think you had a subfloor and you had plywood underlayment -RIGHT (1 1/2" at least 2 layers). Crona did not use an underlayment, he set tile directly to the subfloor. For the record, TCNA does have a method for setting directly to plywood. One of the requirements is 1 1/4" of plywood consisting of subfloor and underlayment. Its not often recommended for diyers because the failure rate is high, as important steps are often missed or substituted for something else.

Old 08-04-08, 01:42 PM
C
Thank you all for the answers. I'm hoping to go with the "just replace the cracked three" and see what happens option -- but I do realize if it gets worse I might have to tear everything up.

FWIW, yes, I did lay the tile directly on the subfloor, no underlayment. Dragging my hazy memories to the front of my brain, I recall that the people who sold me the tile said I could do this as long as 1) the subfloor was very, very even and 2) I used a special, more flexible type of mastic.

I used the recommended mastic, but as I worked I discovered the subfloor really wasn't as even as I'd thought. I think that's what later bit me.

Old 08-04-08, 03:35 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
You had two major things which caused this failure:

1. Tiling directly onto plywood

2. Using mastic