Using Thinset Mortar Under Ditra?

Old 08-17-08, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Using Thinset Mortar Under Ditra?

I talked to a guy in the flooring department at Home Depot and he says I can use thinset mortar to secure Ditra membrane to my plywood sub floor (in a small 5' x 5' bathroom) plus use the same thinset to set the tile over the Ditra. Is this true?

I have half a bag of thinset in the garage, it has hardened a bit. Can I still use it?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-08, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Have you gone to the Schluter website? I think thats specifically what they recommend.

The tile guys are all out, but I think thats correct.

Old 08-17-08, 05:00 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Get a new bag. A 50lb bag of Versabond is only $14.

Old 08-17-08, 08:26 PM
Well, it has to be bonded with thinset, how else? The question is which one? Kinda funny, but HD does not sell a thinset mortar that Schluter approves of to set tiles over Ditra with. I don't think HD stocks any dry-set anymore? They only sell modified thinset.

So fine, use Versabond to install Ditra to plywood. But Schluter won't like you using it to bond the tiles, it'll work, but no warranty.

Of course put that old bad of thinset at the curb this week.

Jaz

Old 08-18-08, 01:56 AM
I checked out the Schluter site and they say that the setting and grouting materials are as follows:

1. Latex portland cement (p.c.) mortar ANSI A118.11 - from their diagram this goes on before the Ditra.

2. Unmodified thin-set mortar ANSI A118.1 - the tile is secured using this of course.

comments?

Old 08-18-08, 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by JazMan View Post
Well, it has to be bonded with thinset, how else? The question is which one? Kinda funny, but HD does not sell a thinset mortar that Schluter approves of to set tiles over Ditra with. I don't think HD stocks any dry-set anymore? They only sell modified thinset.

So fine, use Versabond to install Ditra to plywood. But Schluter won't like you using it to bond the tiles, it'll work, but no warranty.

Of course put that old bad of thinset at the curb this week.

Jaz

Jaz,

Schluter recommends modified thinset for Ditra installation.

Schluter does not however, warranty their Kerdi showers installed with modified.

http://www.schluter.com/media/brochu...k-2008-ENG.pdf

Old 08-18-08, 08:19 PM
Mark,

What in my post seems wrong to you? How did Kerdi enter this discussion? Maybe you've been starring at that monitor too long? You trying to school me on how to install Ditra? Now that is funny!

Jaz

Old 08-18-08, 11:01 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Jaz,

Schluter recommends modified thinset for Ditra installation.

Schluter does not however, warranty their Kerdi showers installed with modified.

http://www.schluter.com/media/brochu...k-2008-ENG.pdf
Is modified thinset and latex portland cement mortar the same product? See my last post for a diagram I posted, which says that Latex portland cement (p.c.) mortar should be used.

Old 08-19-08, 06:22 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
How

Yes. Its the same thing.

Old 08-19-08, 06:50 AM
Mark,

What in my post seems wrong to you? How did Kerdi enter this discussion? Maybe you've been starring at that monitor too long? You trying to school me on how to install Ditra? Now that is funny!

Jaz
Sorry Jaz, I misread your original post. Also, HD only has one dryset now, Customs Blend, and it is horrible stuff. Might as well use mud and straw.

Old 08-19-08, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
How

Yes. Its the same thing.
So I think I have it now, modified thinset to lay the Ditra on top of plywood, then unmodified thinset to lay the tile on top of the Ditra. Do I have it right? Do I have to add anything to these mixes, other than water?

What notch size of trowel do I use the lay the Ditra?

I plan to lay 12 x 12 tile, what notch size of trowel to lay this size of tile on the Ditra?

Old 08-19-08, 11:38 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
So I think I have it now, modified thinset to lay the Ditra on top of plywood, then unmodified thinset to lay the tile on top of the Ditra.
Thats right.

Do I have it right? Do I have to add anything to these mixes, other than water?
No just water to the modified and unmodified.

What notch size of trowel do I use the lay the Ditra?
Schluter recommends either 1/4" x 3/16" v-notch trowel or 5/16" v notch trowel.

I plan to lay 12 x 12 tile, what notch size of trowel to lay this size of tile on the Ditra?
You could try a 1/4" x 1/4" x 1/4". If you arent getting good coverage than move up to 1/4" x 3/8" x 1/4".

Old 08-19-08, 06:43 PM
I recommend using a 5/16 V to install Ditra. Problem is you may have a hard time finding one. I have been cutting larger grooves for Ditra for many years. I don't get Schluter's thinking on this. There is a bid difference between a 1/4x3/16 V and a 5/16 V.

I always use a 1/4x3/8x1/4 as my standard weapon with tiles 12" or so. Just today I used 1/4x1/2x1/4 for a 12" ceramic, and the backs were flat with only grooves, not concaved at all. Start with 1/4x3/8, set it, beat it, then immediately remove it and check for thinset transfer.

Jaz

Old 04-26-10, 05:20 PM
I know it's been 18 months since this thread was created but yes, modified for the ditra to ply and then unmodified (not the same stuff; guy in home depot was simply wrong, no debate necessary on that) for the tile onto the ditra. I didn't see any unmodified at home depot today but a big tile store locally happens to have Ditra-set.

Old 04-27-10, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Sorry Jaz, I misread your original post. Also, HD only has one dryset now, Customs Blend, and it is horrible stuff. Might as well use mud and straw.
Kinda curious as to why you say customs blend is horrible. Ive used the stuff before and have had zero problems with it. Not to mention its made by the same company that makes versabond which is another product that ive had no problems with.

Old 04-27-10, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by ElectricJoeNJ View Post
Kinda curious as to why you say customs blend is horrible. Ive used the stuff before and have had zero problems with it. Not to mention its made by the same company that makes versabond which is another product that ive had no problems with.
Because it's a $5 economy bag of thinset that can be inconsistent in quality. I've known many of tile setters who used it and have had bad results, i.e. Not bonding properly.

Versabond and Flexbond are modified thinsets made by the same company, but are much better.

The saying holds true, "you get what you pay for."

Old 04-28-10, 07:26 PM
Versabond is a very adequate multipurpose modified thin set I agree. But it's nothing to write home about, it's an "entry-level" mortar, in other words, cheap. It'll probably work well in most residential installations though.

As far as Customblend goes, many of us tile guys are very afraid of it. It's not worth taking a chance to save $4-5 a bag.

Remember though that the quality of one product has nothing to do with how good another product is.

Now Versabond flex or Flexbond are much better.

Jaz

Old 04-28-10, 10:43 PM
Versabond is a very adequate multipurpose modified thin set I agree. But it's nothing to write home about, it's an "entry-level" mortar, in other words, cheap. It'll probably work well in most residential installations though.

As far as Customblend goes, many of us tile guys are very afraid of it. It's not worth taking a chance to save $4-5 a bag.

Remember though that the quality of one product has nothing to do with how good another product is.

Now Versabond flex or Flexbond are much better.

Jaz
fair enough. Now, whats the BEST unmodified thinset you can buy. im just wondering what to buy for an upcoming kerdi shower install.

Old 04-29-10, 09:20 AM
DITRA-SET by Schluter, Mapei's Keraset, Lactricrete products, too name a few. You may have to call around to see who can get it.