Bathroom tile ?

Old 08-21-08, 04:35 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom tile ?

I am tiling my bathroom shower walls and I have a ? about where to start. I read about measuring the high and low spots on the walls and to draw a level line to begin your tiling job ,but what I don't understand is where do I start. I have an unlevel tub and I am going all the way up to the ceiling with the tile. My back wall from the tub lip to the ceiling is 1/8 of an inch off . I measured in 3 places, end, middle, end. But the side wall is about a half an inch off from lip to ceiling. I measured in 2 places. If I start on the back wall with the horizontal line and drag it to the side walls then there will be a big difference on the side wall when it comes time to tile right? or am I misunderstanding what I read. Do I need to start the horizontal line on the back wall or can I start it on the side wall that is out of whack and transfer to the back wall? Where is the gap going to show up near the tub lip or on the ceiling ? Any advice is appreciated on how make this gap less noticeable.

Old 08-21-08, 04:49 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Hi!

If you have drywall there now, it needs to come down.

Tile & drywall in a shower/tub is a no-no.

When the drywall is out, you can shim or sister those existing studs to be plumb.

Install a vapor barrier against the studs, then install a cement board like Hardiebacker, then tile.

Old 08-21-08, 07:27 PM
J
Although you didn't ask for that info, it's good advice that you may not have known. NO wall board in wet areas, NO mastic or ANY pre-mixed ready to use adhesive or grout. you need a vapor barrier, I prefer a surface applied membrane. What are your plans? What materials exactly will you be using?

As for your question, find the lowest spot of the tub on the 3 walls. Then measure up one or 2 tiles and make this your level horizontal reference starting line. As the tub goes up, you will cut the tiles to fit to the tub. If unclear ask again.

Jaz

Old 08-23-08, 11:14 AM
R
Jazman, I do not have sheetrock on the walls I used hardibacker. Thanks for the info on walls. About mastic or premxed adhesives I plan on using something called Omnigrip I bought at HD . It was in the tile aisle and the guy said that it would be good for hanging the tiles. It is premixed though. What do you think?

Old 08-23-08, 12:08 PM
J
If you want to do a good job, take that junk back and get thinset mortar, like white Versabond or Flexbond. It's not that much harder to work with, but it is much better. And, although not important, it's cheaper too. Mastics will re-emulsify when they get wet. They should only be used in dry vertical applications.

Jaz

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-05-08 at 05:39 PM. Reason: No business bashing.
Old 08-24-08, 07:27 AM
C
Mod's note: Enough of the big box bashing, guys.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-05-08 at 05:44 PM. Reason: No useful information added

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: