Bathroom Vanity Installed Over Tile?

Old 08-21-08, 06:02 PM
H
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Bathroom Vanity Installed Over Tile?

I am renovating our small main bathroom (floor space including vanity is 5' x 5') and have special ordered a vanity that will arrive in three weeks. I plan to install ceramic tile in the bathroom.

Should I:
A. Put tile down, then install the vanity over the tile or...
B. install the vanity, then put the tile down and tile around the vanity.

Pros & cons of either choice?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-21-08, 06:31 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Install the tile first, and place the vanity over it.

It creates a smoother look, and if you ever need to replace the vanity, you don't have to worry about filling the void of where the old one was.

Old 08-21-08, 09:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I agree with Mark a 100%

Old 08-21-08, 10:26 PM
H
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Install the tile first, and place the vanity over it.

It creates a smoother look, and if you ever need to replace the vanity, you don't have to worry about filling the void of where the old one was.
The 30" vanity will go against the wall (and secured to the side and back wall with screws) so I would just have to drill into the tile with a masonry bit to secure the other front corner away from the side wall to secure it to the floor (I plan to use "L" brackets)... the floor is really level, which means I won't have to shim it to level it (hopefully my tile job is level!).

Is this the way you would secure it to the floor (assuming one should secure it to the floor)?

Old 08-22-08, 06:49 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
You don't secure it to the floor. Just to the studs, and even then, normally just thru the back.

Old 08-22-08, 10:29 AM
H
Originally Posted by Gunguy45 View Post
You don't secure it to the floor. Just to the studs, and even then, normally just thru the back.
Don't secure the vanity to the floor... ok... maybe some caulking will keep it from moving around?

Old 08-22-08, 02:55 PM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Howitzer View Post
Don't secure the vanity to the floor... ok... maybe some caulking will keep it from moving around?
Once the cabinet is shimmed level and all four corners are supported, the screws into the back wall will hold it in place. It aint gonna go nowhere. No caulk is needed.

Old 08-22-08, 03:48 PM
H
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Once the cabinet is shimmed level and all four corners are supported, the screws into the back wall will hold it in place. It aint gonna go nowhere. No caulk is needed.
Wouldn't a line of caulking be a good idea in case of water getting on the tile floor and working under the vanity?

Old 08-22-08, 04:18 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If you want to put a bead of caulk around the base, go ahead. Make sure it won't interfere with whatever trim you plan on putting down. But it's not normally done as it's not normally needed. One suggestion if you do, don't use a silicone.

It won't move around once you get the vanity top and side and backsplashes on. Heck, it prob won't move once you get it level and the screws in snug.

Old 08-22-08, 09:50 PM
H
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
If you use shims on the bottom to level out the vanity, how do you keep them from moving around? Glue?