painted travertine backsplash

Old 08-28-08, 09:15 AM
W
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
painted travertine backsplash

My first post. Has anyone painted travertine tile and used it as a backsplash over a stove/range in a kitchen? I did a backsplash for my sister but had very little time to research materials.The image was in the center showing the natural stone as background. I sealed the tiles with Tile Lab Gloss Sealer and Finish (2 coats), painted the image with artist acrylics (liquitex), and finalized by using Krylon Acrylic Crystal Clear Satin (a protective non yellowing finish-3 coats). It has been installed and looks stunning, but will it survive time and heat?? Someone else wants one, but I need expert advise this time.. (they are not family, got to get it right!!!) PLEASE HELP with tried and true results. Thanks, W.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-08, 01:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Did these tiles have any type of finish on them before you started?

I can't imagine any type of coating wearing well over a finished or polished tile.

Old 08-30-08, 10:32 AM
W
The travertine used was unpolished with no finish. Hope to hear back from you soon, thanks, W.

Old 09-02-08, 06:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
I don't have any real knowledge of these types of coatings so I'll move this thread to the tile section.

Old 09-08-08, 09:32 PM
H
the only issue that i might see here is the first coat product that you used. As it is a high-gloss finish, anything you put over it will not bond as well as it would over a dull finish. i would recommend using a primer designed for porcelain/ tile refinishing first instead of the high-gloss finish. in these types of odd situations, it is always best to test it out before selling the service!