Removing ceramic tile from masonry

Old 09-04-08, 07:55 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing ceramic tile from masonry

Hi there. Has anyone ever removed ceramic tile from masonry? I am attempting this very ambitious project on my bathroom walls and am curious if I should chip away at just the tile, or bust through all the concrete underneath it as well. The tiles are not coming off easily at all and if i am going to have to bust through the concrete underneath anyway (the surface is not at all smooth under the tile and juts out further than the wall above the tile) I might as well do it right the first time.

I have managed to knock a pretty good size hole through the concrete in one part and it looks like there is a good inch of concrete over what looks like some kind of chicken wire.

I could take a pic if that helps (can you post pics here??)

Has anyone does this kind of job before and what were your experiences? my house was built of brick and masonry construction in 1950. I love it, but this bathroom is U.G.L.Y (and its starting to mold)

thanks in advance for any input!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-08, 06:11 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Carrie

What you have there is a good old fashion mud job. 1 1/4" or so of mud over a slip sheet and lathe.

Sometimes the tiles come off easy and sometimes they dont. Try a hammer and chisel holding the chisel as flat to the floor as you can. If the tiles come off with not to much damage to the mud bed you may be able to reuse it. You can rent a chipping hammer for this as well. If the mud bed has big gouges and cracks after you remove a few tiles, then it'll have to go. Good luck.