Removing old grout/glue from bathroom walls

Old 09-11-08, 06:34 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing old grout/glue from bathroom walls

I am in the middle of a bathroom remodel. As part of the remodel, we took down ceramic tile from the walls, which required the removal of the grout/glue from the walls. I was able to sand about 95% of it off using my orbital sander, but the rest is in hard to reach places (such as behind the toilet) where I cannot get access to with my sander. Is there something you can recommend to get this cleaned off, other than just sanding by hand? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 11:59 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in

Shut off the water supply to the tank. Flush the toilet, sponge out the remaining water. Remove the tank.

It doesnt take all that long to do this.

Old 09-11-08, 02:10 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Johnny - did you get your threads mixed up?

I usually scrape off what I can first, then sand. Expect to make some drywall repairs. What are your plans with the wall? new tile? paint?

Old 09-12-08, 07:00 AM
H
Johnny - did you get your threads mixed up?
LMAO - No Mark, but I can see how one might think I did. Sometimes I think people can read what's going on in my mind, boy thats scary. Thanks for the wake up.

Just saying that if he cant get at the adhesive behind the tank he can remove the tank.

Old 09-12-08, 07:27 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks! I got your advice yesterday and it worked like a charm. I only ended up having to hand sand a few corners that the orbital just can't get to due to it's shape. I'd have never thought of this on my own--and I'd still be at home trying to hand sand that whole area

The plan is to paint most of it, but put new tile around the shower/bathtub area. We are going to completely rehang those walls though, since it was just plain drywall back there and I know you don't want that around the shower.

Old 09-12-08, 08:08 AM
H
The plan is to paint most of it, but put new tile around the shower/bathtub area. We are going to completely rehang those walls though, since it was just plain drywall back there and I know you don't want that around the shower.
Yep, sounds you been doin your reading. Insulate all the exterior walls in the shower/tub area. Then 6 mil poly sheeting over the studs. Then cement board, not drywall or greenboard. Make sure you tape and mud all the cement board joints with the same thinset you'll use to set the tile. Good luck. Got any questions as you go, fire away.

Old 09-12-08, 03:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 291 Votes on 259 Posts
Hey Johnny, even though I had read in thespian's 1st post the "(such as behind the toilet" it failed to register in my little brain

....... and I was all set to make you take a sobriety test

Old 09-14-08, 07:15 AM
H
This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in

....... and I was all set to make you take a sobriety test
It's not the liquor, I think its just old timers. Lately I'm finding my kids are finishing my sentences for me.