Removing ceramic tile from concrete slab

Old 09-11-08, 11:56 AM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Removing ceramic tile from concrete slab

I am planning to remodel 2 seperate bathrooms that have ceramic tile installed on a concrete slab. They are the original floors from when the house was built in 1999. I was told that the demolition part would be a messy and tedious process. My questions are: What is the best way to get the tiles off the concrete? I have thought of everything from a jackhammer to a hammer and chisel but do not know what option would be the most efficient. Second, what else should I do to prep the surface before placing the new tiles?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 12:03 PM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Rent a demolition hammer with a spade bit. That'll be your quickest way.

Let us know what condition the slab is in when you are done with the demo. Then we can tell you what kind of prep you need to do to the slab.

Old 12-06-08, 05:21 AM
C
ok, i will take over this thread.

i have removed the tiles from the slab, what a PITA . but i didn't get up most of the thinset, its on there pretty good. i am reading through threads now, looking for info. but i plan to fill the voids with more thinset. and get it all flat. then lay tile over that. any issues ?

tia

Old 12-06-08, 06:39 AM
H
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Try to chisel and grind down more of the offensive high spots first. A caution, you may not find it so easy to fill all the low spots and get the slab as flat as you would like, but it is doable.

Old 12-06-08, 11:08 AM
D
tip for removing dried mortar from tile face

i dont know if this is an old tip or if I just made more of a mess than most. I had some spots where some of the mortar dried to the face of my ceramic tile. I grabbed a hand sander and a sanding screen that i used when doing the drywall and it took the stuff right off with no damage to anything.....fyi

Old 12-07-08, 05:42 PM
C
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Try to chisel and grind down more of the offensive high spots first. A caution, you may not find it so easy to fill all the low spots and get the slab as flat as you would like, but it is doable.
yes, i have been doing that. the floor is pretty flat, close to the toilet flange is the high spot. taking all the old thinset off is making that pretty flat, also.

will be laying the tile this weekend.

Old 12-26-08, 07:53 AM
C
update

my idea worked just fine.