Ceramic tile on an existing vinyl deck

Old 09-11-08, 03:30 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ceramic tile on an existing vinyl deck

I have an existing vinyl deck with vinyl deckboards approx 11/2' thick. I want to cover the deck with ceramic or porcelain tile and need to know if I should take up the existing boards and replace with P.T. 3/4" sub floor and 1/2" backer board, or set backerboard on top of existing vinyl boards or is there another method that would work better. Deck joists are set on 16" centers.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-11-08, 05:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What is the unsupported span for these joists?

What part of the east are you in? Most ceramic tile is not approved for outdoor use because of the freeze/thaw cycles.

I would remove the deckboards, and install two layers of exterior grade AC/BC plywood totaling 1 1/4". Most cement boards are not approved for exterior use, but if you seal them with waterproofing, like RedGard, you should be ok.

Old 09-12-08, 08:03 AM
H
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
alanb

You can not install ceramic tile over the vinyl deck boards, the vinyl deckboards have to go. Additionally, no treated plywood. Both the vinyl deck boards and the treated plywood have to much movement and will kill a tile installation in no time at all.

Theres more to this than you think. For starters, you need to make sure that the framing/joist structure is strong enough to support a ceramic tile installation. You need to have the deck sloped 1/4" per foot so the deck drains off properly, no standing water.

Take a look at Noble Co's Noble Deck. It's ideal for what you are looking to do. You will however need to remove the vinyl deck boards and replace with 2 layers of plywood. If you don't have the proper pitch now, you'll need to somehow incorporate that as well. You'll also need a cement board over the plywood. Cement boards like Durock and Wonderboard are rated for exterior use. Fiber cement boards like Hardibacker are not rated for exterior use. Check out the Noble Deck info.

http://www.noblecompany.com/Products....aspx#products

As to the tile, porcelain is your best bet for exterior use. Some natural stone products may be ok as well, however they will likely require a stronger framing structure than you currently have.