What mastic for 1x1 slate tile on mesh?

Old 09-17-08, 01:15 PM
S
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What mastic for 1x1 slate tile on mesh?

I 've been advised that slate tiles requires acrylic mastic when installed in a backsplash because of the weight. Is this the right mastic to use for 1x1 or 2x2 slate tiles mounted on mesh? Is there anything else I do differently for tiles on mesh vs individual tiles?

Also, if I'm using both 4x4 tiles (with 1/4" spaces) and 1x1 or 2x2 tiles (with much smaller spaces in between), can I use both sanded and unsanded grout on different parts of the wall?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-08, 12:53 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I 've been advised that slate tiles requires acrylic mastic when installed in a backsplash because of the weight. Is this the right mastic to use for 1x1 or 2x2 slate tiles mounted on mesh? Is there anything else I do differently for tiles on mesh vs individual tiles?
I would use a modified thinset, but in this case you could get away with using a mastic since it isn't a wet are and it would be much easier for a DIY'er to use.

Also, if I'm using both 4x4 tiles (with 1/4" spaces) and 1x1 or 2x2 tiles (with much smaller spaces in between), can I use both sanded and unsanded grout on different parts of the wall?
you can use the sanded grout on both.
1/8" is about the minimum for sanded grout but depending on the make of the grout and sand content you could get away with slightly smaller.