Question about painting tile

Old 09-22-08, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Question about painting tile

I read the article about how to paint ceramic tile by Brian Simkins. I was just wondering if you had to apply a coat of urethane after you applied the paint. Is that necessary? He never mentioned it in his article, but I was wondering if that would make it stronger...any ideas?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-08, 03:02 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
swifer

I'm guessing that you havent had any responses to your post because I dont think anyone here thinks its really a good idea to paint tile, and that it wont look good for very long.

I did a google search on Brian Simkins, only to find that the article you refer to is on this do it yourself website in the ceramic tile section. Unfortunately, it gave me the opportunity to again look at some of the misleading and inacurate infomation about ceramic tile installations. Too much bad info to even comment on.

Sorry I'm not much help with the paint idea but I've seen a few painted tile jobs and they all looked really crappy. At the very least, my comments will bump your thread to the top of the list.

Old 09-24-08, 06:57 PM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ok, Cmon. Where are all the tile painting people?:moonu:

Hey I like that little moon guy.

Old 09-25-08, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 168 Votes on 149 Posts
I agree with Johnny that it isn't a good idea to paint tile, it has a bad track record. If you do go this route, proper prep is key! The coating shouldn't need any extra protection and poly may or may not adhere well to the tile paint. It would also discolor it.