Remodeling bath - help/advice needed

Old 09-23-08, 02:55 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Remodeling bath - help/advice needed

I am remodeling a small bathroom in the house I recently purchased. It was added by the last owner, but wasn't laid out very well and I think I've come up with a better way to facilitate the space. That said, currently the bathroom has a shower and the entire floor (tiled) is the "shower pan". As you can imagine water goes everywhere, and it's a huge mess anytime you take a shower. The existing floor, i was told, has "green board" or cement board installed below the existing tile. I want to rip up the existing tile and create a shower ledge/base on the floor. Unfortunately because it's such a small room, the shower footprint can only be 30"x36" with a neo-angle shape. I haven't found any manufacturer's that make this base standard or custom for a reasonable price so I would like to make my own.

My thoughts are to rip out the tile down to the cement board in the area where the shower will go and create the shower ledge out of a 2x4 or 4x4 anchored to the subfloor and wrapped in cement board. Then tile over the cement wrapped ledge and the shower base.

My question/concerns are regarding the waterproofing. Is there a vapor barrier or some sort of water barrier that should be put down before I install the tile? or is the cement board enough? Can I create a 1/4" per foot slope to the floor drain just by starting with thicker mortor and tapering down to the drain? or would I need to create a platform surface?

Any advice, recommendations, opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-08, 03:12 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There shall be no cementboard for a shower base. A proper tiles shower floor will consist of:

1. First preslope mortar bed

2. Pan liner

3. Final mortar slope.

Since this is a wooden subfloor, you will need to put down tar paper over the subfloor, then staple wire mesh to that.

I'll be back in a bit, gotta grout my shower walls.....

Here's a link to a decent site on how to create a shower floor.

http://www.ontariotile.com/preslope.html

Last edited by HotxxxxxxxOKC; 09-23-08 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added link