removing glue from concrete

Old 09-26-08, 06:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
removing glue from concrete

Well my muscles ache and my fingers are numb but I got all the tacky glue off the concrete, but the tan looking crap and some of the paint that looks like it was sprayed just won't come off..

the blades are plenty sharp, but the scrapers just glides right over the floor.. Did I remove enough to move on to the next step, or should I keep trying.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-08, 10:58 AM
Overspray comes right off when you wet it down. Same thing with the tan crap (paper from the back of the vinyl). You can use a 2 gallon pump sprayer (or whatever) and heavily mist the area. I can't tell what type of blades you are using in your 4" scraper from your pic but if its the the thick ones that you can resharpen, they are not sharp enough. You need the thin replacable ones and replace them often. Use the thin ones and you'll cut your time and effort in half.

I have both and when it comes to scraping vinyl backing off the thin blades are king.

Old 09-26-08, 10:13 PM
thanks for the tip..
whats on the floor is not from the vinyl, the backing on mine was black and they peeled right up just leaving the glue,
this stuff looks like some form of epoxy that was put down with a trowel. I'll try a thinner blade and see whats up
I did wet one spot but it didn't help.

Old 09-27-08, 03:07 PM
that slab looks good to go to set your tile,

Old 09-27-08, 03:19 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by ceramictec View Post
that slab looks good to go to set your tile,

I must agree with Brian. Looks good.

Old 09-29-08, 10:28 AM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
I must agree with Brian. Looks good.
v b chil-n has a thread over at the JB forum on this same thing. there seems to be a 1/8" slab crack in an area you don't see from this picture.

Old 10-05-08, 08:25 AM
yes sorry I've been so busy I forgot to update this post..
here's my crack.. this is pretty much where I stalled with the floor.. after much web searching and based on some of the advice here and on JB forum I decided to go with the redgard.
I should fill the divots in the floor with thin set first correct? then apply the redgard.

Old 10-05-08, 08:55 AM
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Why the redgard? Sheet membranes will be a better choice. Check out the Noble website.

Old 10-05-08, 09:50 AM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Why the redgard? Sheet membranes will be a better choice. Check out the Noble website.
I selected the redgard because I'm sure the crack is cosmetic, based on where it starts it seems to have been caused by the tack strip nail. the edges are level which suggests no structural movement, and well the cost and the fact that I cannot find it locally..
this is a 1 day a week project with no budget at this time since my wife just got laid off a week ago. so I have to consider all these factors when making my decision.
the noble cis would be well over $150 for the size and adhesive I would require, according to redgard it should have no problems with this application..