coloring grout

Old 10-02-08, 09:36 AM
Z
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
coloring grout

I am considering coloring some sanded grout on my porcelain floor tiles. I am planning to use Aqua Mix colorant and will prepare the grout per their recommendations.

How does a colored grout look when it is done? Does it look like natural grout (this is what I want) or does it look painted or glossy?

Thanks, I have never seen colored grout that I know of.

Old 10-02-08, 10:27 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
After using the grout colorant, it will look natural, like that was the orginal color of the grout. If your grout has already been sealed, the grout colorant might appear blochy as it wont absorb into the grout the way is should. Try the colorant in an inconspicuous place first to make sure you are happy with the results.

Old 10-05-08, 09:58 PM
U
coloring epoxy grout?

I, too, might need to re-color bathroom grout. Remodeler was not very experienced with Laticrete Spectra-Lock epoxy mix-in with unsanded Custom grout. It is very unevenly colored and lots of grey instead of consistent light tan. Should we re-color with Grout Finish or stain it with ??

Old 10-06-08, 06:50 AM
Z
The grout WAS sealed a couple years ago, but I plan on removing the sealant to the extent possible. Aqua Mix has a product for stripping off the sealant.

Old 10-06-08, 08:27 AM
H
The grout WAS sealed a couple years ago, but I plan on removing the sealant to the extent possible. Aqua Mix has a product for stripping off the sealant.
Sounds good. I'd still try in an inconspicuous place first.

I, too, might need to re-color bathroom grout. Remodeler was not very experienced with Laticrete Spectra-Lock epoxy mix-in with unsanded Custom grout. It is very unevenly colored and lots of grey instead of consistent light tan. Should we re-color with Grout Finish or stain it with ??
I'm not all knowing, but I think you have an unfixable mess on your hands here. Mixed expoxy grout with regular grout? You are being kind here by saying the remodeler is not very experienced. Grout colorant is not going to help you here. That mess has to go.

Oh yeah. It would be a good idea to start your own thread rather than jump in on this one. It makes it harder for folks to answer questions when the thread gets mixed up like this.

Old 10-06-08, 09:30 PM
A
No way to recolor epoxy grout. That's kind of the point. It will have to be removed and started over. Star Quartz makes a great stain resistant grout that is easier for installers. Anyone can install this if they follow the directions.

Old 10-07-08, 06:39 AM
H
No way to recolor epoxy grout.
See this link

http://www.tile-grout.net/

Old 10-07-08, 11:31 AM
Z
[QUOTE=HeresJohnny;1441638]Sounds good. I'd still try in an inconspicuous place first.QUOTE]

Yeah, I ordered the sample sizes from Aqua Mix for a couple bucks each so I could determine which color I like best before buying all of it. This way I can also test the results in a closet or something! I think it is going to work out real nicely but I probably won't get around to it for a couple weeks yet.

Old 10-07-08, 12:54 PM
H
Originally Posted by zepman
Aqua Mix has a product for stripping off the sealant.
Post back when you are done. I'd like to know how you made out with the stripper and sealer and if you are satisfied with the results.

This forum requires that you wait 180 seconds between posts. Please try again in 14 seconds.

Old 10-07-08, 02:38 PM
A
Have you tried to recolor epoxy grout with their product before? They make an epoxy based colorant made to apply to sanded/unsanded grout. To change the color of epoxy grout you need it to absorb the color, otherwise your just painting the top.

If they make something specifically for epoxy grouts, i did not see it on their website. Please point it out to me. If something is on the market for this i would like to know.

Old 10-08-08, 06:40 AM
Z
I'll let you know how it turns out. I'm picking out a color from the Aqua Mix samples now, and may get started in a week or two. Looks like a slow process given that I need to strip off the sealer, clean the grout to the extent possible, and then color it. I am optimistic that the results will be very good.

I hope to have this monkey off my back by November!

Old 10-08-08, 06:47 AM
H
I have not used their products, and have never used colorant with epoxy grout. Here's what their website says at the above link.

We are manufacturers and distributors of GDC epoxy grout stain colorants, and GDC tile and grout restoration products
I havent read any further than that. If you have, you already know more than me.

I do know that Aquamix grout colorant claims that it can be used with epoxy grout. Here is there blurb and link.
Uses

Use on sanded, un-sanded and epoxy grout joints. Effective for interior and exterior applications
http://www.aquamix.com/products/pg_d...5042&pgid=8374

I have never tried this on epoxy grout by Aquamix says it works. I dunno.

Old 10-08-08, 08:48 AM
A
I did a backsplash with epoxy grout that came out heinously orange about a year ago. Doing some research back then i found that you could not stain epoxy but could paint over it. I will check with Aquamix and see if it's true. Thanks for the link.

Maybe i can salvage that job.

Old 10-21-08, 08:44 AM
Z
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny
Post back when you are done. I'd like to know how you made out with the stripper and sealer and if you are satisfied with the results.
Alright, so last night I colored about 125 sf or grout, only 375 sf to go! So far the results look very promising. The new color is a bit lighter than the existing color, and it may require two coats, not sure yet. But as you look at the tile while standing on it you cannot tell that it was colored, and it looks like a brand new installation. No blotchiness at all is visible from this perspective.

If you get down on your knees and look closely, there are a few blotches, but not due to lack of absorption into the grout, mainly from where I applied it too thick. From close inspection it looks good as well, but from this perspective I question whether or not I need a second coat...

Overall I am impressed with the results and hope it will be as durable as Aqua Mix claims (with proper care of course). I would imagine the surface prep is the key when dealing with a previously sealed grout. I followed Aqua Mix recommendations to the letter:

1. Strip sealant with Aqua Mix Sealant and Coating Remover. For me 1 gallon was enough for over 400 sf. This stuff really stinks, you need to have windows open.

2. After 48 hours I deep cleaned the grout using Aqua Mix Phosphoric Acid cleaner (diluted 4:1). This also opens the grout pores according to Aqua Mix.

3. After another 24 hours applied Aqua Mix colorant according to their instructions.

This was a LOT of work. Step 1 is very tedious and time consuming. Step 2 isn't too bad, but applying the colorant is also tedious and time consuming (don't apply too thick!!). So far it appears the results will be excellent and well worth my time and effort. The area I did last night looks like a brand new floor.

As a side note, Aqua Mix colorant can be applied directly to grout joints (clean of course) that have been sealed with Aqua Mix grout sealers. No use of stripper is required, according to the company. This is good to know, and on my new tile floor, I will use only Aqua Mix sealer just in case I need to color it down the road!

Old 10-21-08, 10:53 AM
H
Sounds like its going good. Yeah it is a lotta work.

Old 10-21-08, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hey zepman
I looked and maybe I missed it, did you go from a lighter to darker color or vise-versa? We have a real dark grout in our showers, and "She Who Must Be Obeyed" hates it. I am not looking forward to sawing it all out and re-grouting, or a complete re-tile. The tiles are nice and probably more expensive than what I could put back.

Old 10-21-08, 12:44 PM
Z
Gunguy45:

I colored the grout to a lighter shade than what exists now. Its actually very close to the original grout color, but over the years, foot traffic and dirt have darkened it a shade or two. It covered fairly well, and I would think with 2 coats it would be perfect. In my case, the shade difference is not that much.

If your grout is really dark, I would think it would be fine, but you will need two coats for sure. I am using this on a floor, not in a shower, but I would expect you can do this the same way. Check with Aqua Mix or an expert first!

On their website, Aqua Mix sells sample sizes of the grout colorant for a couple bucks each. It is a good way to select which color you want, and would allow you to test it in an inconspicous are before committing to it fully. Try two coats and see how it looks and how much effort it will be compared to redoing the grout altogether.

Hope this helps.

Old 10-21-08, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Received 6 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Thanks Zep
We'll probably try in the bath we never use. Let the In-laws look at it if it turns out bad, till I get around to re-doing it.
Lol

Old 10-21-08, 01:24 PM
Z
No problem. Just keep in mind that if you need to strip off any existing grout sealant, and clean the joints prior to coloring, it is still a lot of work.

Old 11-22-08, 06:56 AM
N
Zepman - I have a question about coloring your grout. Did you have stone tiles? I wonder if the colorant used to change the grout would stain stone. Does anyone know?

I just tiled my shower and used Porcelain tiles but I added a strip of decorative tile that has stone in it. I hate the color grout, it is too light but I don't want to ruin the stone.

Old 11-22-08, 08:40 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
You need to make sure your stone is sealed prior to colorant.

I got mine through groutdye.com and it looks brand new after years and years of abuse.

Old 11-22-08, 06:35 PM
N
Thanks HotinOKC - so if I seal the stone, there is grout between the small pieces of stone and glass, I will need to be sure not to get the sealant on the grout right, since I want that grout stained also. This seems like it is going to be a lot of work for choosing the wrong grout color. This is my first tile job, so live and learn, I suppose.

Old 11-23-08, 07:49 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
The stone should have been presealed prior to grouting, so if you didn't do that, it's going to be a little more difficult.

You should be using a sponge or white terry clothe to seal the stone. This will prevent the sealer from getting to the grout prior to colorant.

What type of stone is this?

Old 11-23-08, 06:53 PM
N
I guess the stone was sealed. I picked up some colorant at Home Depot and tested it on the stone, it wiped off easily. I colored all of the grout in my newly tiled shower and it looks great. Thanks for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: