Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Interior Flooring, Floor Coverings and Coatings Center > Wall and Flooring Indoor Tiling
Reload this Page >

Is there a rule for the size of tile that can be used in a shower floor?

Old 10-13-08, 10:24 AM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I want to put in the Atlas Concode Travertini porcelin tile on my shower floor. I looked into putting the 1 3/8"x 1 3/8" mosaic tiles but the price for these little tiles is putting me over budget. Could I put a 6"x6" tile on the floor?

I'm just wondering if there's a rule or a code that mandates what size the floor tiles can be to prevent someone from slipping.

Old 10-13-08, 10:57 AM
H
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
Could I put a 6"x6" tile on the floor?
Tile that size will not easily follow the slope/contour of the shower pan. Additionally, grout lines in smaller tile give you better footing when the tile is wet. 6x6 wet can get nasty.

I'm just wondering if there's a rule or a code that mandates what size the floor tiles can be to prevent someone from slipping
No code issues, but you'll have a difficult time getting the tile flat to one another. Also as mentioned, the bigger the tile, the less grout lines, the more slippery when wet. Try and stick to 3x3 or smaller tile.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: