Ditra vs. Ditra XL

Old 10-12-08, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Ditra vs. Ditra XL

Hello all,

I have a question about the use of Ditra vs. Ditra XL.

According to the specs (http://www.schluter.com/Schluter-DITRA-XL.aspx), Ditra XL is used for transitioning between subfloor and 3/4" hardwood flooring.

In my case (see http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=363203), I need to do exactly this: a 3/4" transition from subfloor to hardwood flooring using 3/8" 8" porcelain tiles.

However, looking at the specs for Ditra XL, the thickness is 5/16" (vs. 1/8" for regular Ditra). With subfloor thinset, this thickness profile becomes @6/16" or 3/8".

With a 3/8" thick tile, this gives me no room for the thinset tile embed.

Even assuming no thickness for the subfloor thinset, I'm still looking at 1/16" for a tile embed. That's less than half of a typical tile embed (1/4" compressed to @1/8").

What am I missing here?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-08, 11:53 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
However, looking at the specs for Ditra XL, the thickness is 5/16" (vs. 1/8" for regular Ditra). With subfloor thinset, this thickness profile becomes @6/16" or 3/8".
The ditra xl installed will be pretty close to 5/16". Using a v notch trowel and slightly wetter thinset, the thinset adds little to no height. As previously mentioned, its difficult to get different flooring materials to the exact same height. Cmon if its a 1/16" off no ones gonna notice but you, and me.

Old 10-13-08, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by HeresJohnny View Post
Cmon if its a 1/16" off no ones gonna notice but you, and me.
HA! I'm a picky guy. My wife thinks I'm crazy for bothering with such trivial things. But I'll walk past something like this every day and think "man, I could've gotten just a little closer to the mark... if only..."

That said, this attention to detail is what clients really appreciate in my "other" line of work (software engineering).

Heck... this is the kind of stuff that makes me think, and that's the best kind of work anyone can ask for.

Thanks again.

Old 10-23-08, 04:26 PM
Sometimes in trying to make it look right, the focus is taken off the technical attributes needed to happen in order to have a successful tile installation. This results in a temporary situation where it looks good, quickly followed by a much longer lasting situation where the tile continually cracks or comes loose. All because good looks won out over proper and correct install methods.