Wet tile

Old 10-12-08, 10:13 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wet tile

I just finished laying out the tile in my bathroom project, and noticed that the ones I cut with the wet saw are sweating like crazy on the floor, do I have to dry them out prior to setting them in thinset.. I would think the extra moisture between the tile and the floor might affect the thinset mix..

Sponsored Links
Old 10-13-08, 07:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I take it these are natural stones? I wouldn't install them if they are soaking wet, but a little damp is not a problem.

Old 10-13-08, 08:10 AM
Actually it is a good practice to sponge the backs of the tiles so they do absorb water, before you set them. This wipes off all dust, and when set, won't suck the moisture from the mortar, which can create a bad bond.

Old 10-13-08, 04:27 PM
These are ceramic tiles from HD, nothing special.. the back of the tiles seem damp but not dripping but the floor has lots of condensation, I pulled up all the cut tiles ans they all had this issue so I wiped up the moisture and left the tiles up so the floor would dry..
my main concern was with the amount of moisture on the floor.. Thanks for the tips

Old 10-13-08, 04:34 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ok, lets do a moisture test to determine if it's the tile absorbing the moisture, or the slab. Tape 12"x12" plastic bag to the concrete and see if moisture forms in the bag. Wait 24hrs for it to test. Report back here with the results.

Old 10-13-08, 09:52 PM
Originally Posted by HotinOKC View Post
Ok, lets do a moisture test to determine if it's the tile absorbing the moisture, or the slab. Tape 12"x12" plastic bag to the concrete and see if moisture forms in the bag. Wait 24hrs for it to test. Report back here with the results.
I know its not the slab because the full tiles that were not exposed to water are dry underneath only the cut tiles have the moisture problem, and the floor slab is covered with redgard..

so it has to be the water from the cut pieces..

Old 10-14-08, 07:42 AM
You may have a high humidity condition and the tiles have the moisture source for dew point to be acheived.