Cracked Grout and Hollow sounding tiles NEED HELP!!

Old 10-20-08, 11:00 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cracked Grout and Hollow sounding tiles NEED HELP!!

First I would like to Thank Carpets Done Wright with my hardwood floor problem. Now i'm having a tile issue as well. The problem that i'm having is in 2 areas of the house one in the dining room are and the other in the laundry room the grout is cracking right on the edge of the tiles. The cracks start from the wall and work inward. They are not like in the middle of the floor. I noticed it on a tile and it was on the 3rd tile to see if it was going to keep going and it is still cracking it's on the 4th tile side and still cracking. It is barley pulling away from the tile but it is noticeable. What would cause this? Could there be a crack in the slab that is working right along that grount, tile line? Also I noticed a few tiles sounded hollow that were along the grout line crack. What can I do to fix the problem? Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 11:26 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
What do you know about the tile installation? Is this a new tile floor? How old is slab? If new, was it allowed to cure for 28 days before the tile was set? What kind of tile do you have? What kind of thinset was used to set the tile? What kind of grout was used sanded, or unsanded and how big are the grout joints? How big is the tiled area? Was this tile a diy project or was it professionally installed?

Old 10-20-08, 12:50 PM
Let me answer your questions to the best of my knowledge. The floor is new and it was allowed about 4 months from the time it was poured until they laid the tile. I have 16" ceramic tile in my kitchen, dining room, and laundry area. I don't know ehat kind of thin set was used. The grout looks like sanded grout. The grout lines I believe are 5/16 -3/8" thick. The area that is craking is in the dining room which is 12x12. The cracked grout is running on it's 4th tile right now. The other area is in the laundry room that is about an area of 7x7 or close to that. It has run along 2 tiles right now. The crack might move from one side to the other once it starts a new tile if that makes any sense. I hope this helps you out. Thanks again for any help

Old 10-20-08, 01:26 PM
Ricky

You mention that you also have some hollow sounding tiles along the cracked grout lines. Movement causes grout to crack. If the tiles are not properly bonded to the substrate any movement could cause the grout and tile as well to crack. It your case it sounds like for some reason some of the tile did not properly bond to the slab. Could be several reasons for this. It could be that the wrong thinset was used. It could be that the thinset skinned over before the tiles were set. It could be that the thinset exceeded its pot life (left in the bucket to long). It could be that the thinset wasnt mixed properly. It could be some other things as well.

Regrouting is not likely to solve your problem. You have to figure out what caused this situation and correct it. You might start by attempting to remove one of the hollow sounding tiles to see what you find. You will basically be looking to see if the thinset bonded well to the tile and the slab. Most likely, it did not bond well to one or the other.

Old 10-20-08, 03:40 PM
I failed to mention that it was a professional that did the install. Some of the tiles that have the grout line cracking next to it sound fine. They don't have a hollow sound at all but the grout is still cracking next to these tiles. The place where the grout started to crack in the laundry room has a hollow sounding tile next to it but not all of them are hollow. Thanks Again

Old 10-20-08, 05:04 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Have you contacted the installer?

Old 10-21-08, 05:57 AM
No, but I will be doing that sometime this week. I just wanted to see what you guys thought the problem might be. Thanks

Old 10-21-08, 09:38 AM
Ricky

Call the contractor and have him take a look at it. If he's a standup guy and concerned about his reputation he'll figure out whats going on and fix it.